facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

1971 RT1 360 Clutch Adjustment after XS Conversion

Talking pushrod & ball bearing. The only ball in your motor is a 5/16 one that goes in with the mushroom the other end so won't come out if you pull the rod out as shaft hole steps down to 1/4 for the rod from way over the other side. Should though be a 1/4 ball in the actuator sort of lightly riveted in to stop it falling out when on the bench.. Position of the outer nylon bit i guess is pretty critical to a point, so you get the arm pulling from way down rather than up past halfway & loosing ground. Love your work though--compared to mine lol--. Think someone mentioned the arm angle earlier but believe they meant original has a dogleg bend to line up with the cable hole. & miss the sprocket but no doubt you're onto all that. On one of mine, not the current one i made but one using an original cober i fitted it through from the outside & held in by the little cover, screws doing two jobs. Not ideal as little cover sits out a few mm but been like it for 30+ years on my race bike. Not sure why i did it that way but might've thought the outer nylon steel cage bit needed support by the cover to stop it trying to expand. Anyway, love ya work so far & hope she goes well & soon.
02 Apr 2021 15:59 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

No12. Also shows the pushrod No19 as two items which it isn't of course.

www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/1971/rt1b/clutch
02 Apr 2021 16:03 #12

• redtail828
  • redtail828's Avatar Topic Author
Hello all,

thanks a ton for the replies, I apologize for the delay but, you know, life happens. I realized I left an incomplete modification process with yall. I forgot about how I swapped the actuator screw:

on the stock screw I cut the tacks with a grinder that held it in to the part with the little bearing to separate them. 
at this point I could put the XS screw in and tack it in place of the stock RT screw so this is what i ended up with

"plug and play" after this.

BACK TO THE ORIGINAL PROBLEM.
I took the system apart and put it back together again 15 times trying to get it adjusted right with no luck. Then gave it another go one day and LOOSENED the adjuster screw instead of tightening it and now its working great.  Pretty embarrassing but hey, that's the way she goes sometimes. If anyone wants more details on the process for their own project I'd be happy to pass on what I learned. Thanks everybody!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Gr8uncleal
10 May 2021 08:23 #13

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart