facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

1968 DT1 Value?

• brigsy
  • brigsy's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by brigsy on topic 1968 DT1 Value?

Roadking, keeping the 68 is definitely on my mind. Lot of effort and sentimental value in the bike! Was actually looking at a 2008 XT250 with white plastic, and that would be awesome to have them sort of matching 40 years apart! I think this one has been beat up though, looks like JB weld on the case.

68 DT1 003325
09 XT250
Last edit: 04 Mar 2021 16:43 by brigsy.
04 Mar 2021 16:42 #11

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by bart.ives on topic 1968 DT1 Value?

To answer the question, 1968 DT1-250Value.  One sold a couple of weeks ago on a Ebay auction for just under $10K.  It had a later exhaust pipe on it, along with serveral other late model items, but looked real well restored.  Last year I saw mecham auto auction sell a 1968 DT1-250 in great condition for $2200.  So I would not try and sell a motorcylce to a bunch of car guys.  I have also seen a 1968 DT1-250 in orignal great condition sit on the Facebook Market place listed for $5K and sit there for over 6 months.  So that is the Value.
Be Happy!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: brigsy
05 Mar 2021 04:57 #12

• brigsy

Thanks Bart, this is what I've gathered as far as prices being very subjective. I'm hoping to find a buyer who appreciates the character of the bike, whether it be a collector or a newbie like me. Just want to keep riding! For now I am going to address a few issues and get the tank sealed and painted again. 
68 DT1 003325
09 XT250
05 Mar 2021 15:23 #13

Replied by Mothersbaugh on topic 1968 DT1 Value?

I'm not questioning your motives at all, here, but a story about my knowledge and assistance to people in the string world may help with both determining value and with reluctance of some people, even very knowledgeable people, to step forward and give you a value as they see it.
A teacher who taught 5th grade in an elementary school where I taught beginning strings showed me a violin she owned and asked its value. I told her it really was not worth fixing up, that it had a number of problems that would limit its sound and make it harder for a player to play it well technically, and to fix all those problems would cost more than the violin was worth. OK, but what's it worth just as it sits. I said I'd rather not give it a value, as its value would be negated by the problems it has. She pressed me, and finally I said, well, it's worth at least the parts that can be canibalized off of it, (fingerboard, pegs, chinrest, tailpiece [all good ebony], and the fine tuners), so the parts are worth $100, I guess.
The next day, one of my students showed up in class with that violin. "Where did you get that violin?"
"Mrs. So-and-so sold it to me for $100; she said that's what you said it was worth."
I called the girl's mother and explained the situation. She said it wasn't worth the $100 to make a stink about it. At the end of the year, the girl quit playing. "It's too hard to play and I don't sound very good." No sh!t?
I have never given a value for another instrument without asking (New York style) Who wants to know and why?
So in the end, I think you've made a good decision in keeping it! One day you'll be the one saying, "You know, I'm really glad I never sold this one."
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, RT325
06 Mar 2021 10:45 #14

Replied by bart.ives on topic 1968 DT1 Value?

That is a Sad Story, for you and the little violinist never to be.  

Be Happy!
06 Mar 2021 14:38 #15

Replied by Midlife Motor on topic 1968 DT1 Value?

I think you did a great job getting the bike to a fine looking rider. Keep it!!
It's better to remain silent and be considered a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
06 Mar 2021 19:30 #16

Replied by mx360guy on topic 1968 DT1 Value?

Like that bike stand 

This image is hidden for guests.

06 Mar 2021 19:39 #17

• brigsy

Mothersbaugh, I get the gist of your parable. As a self employed contractor, I assign value to projects in terms of material goods and intangible craftsmanship on a weekly basis. It's not an exact science, but I try to be equitable. Certainly not asking anyone to give a thorough appraisal of my bike. Just really didn't know where the general market value is on these bikes, had a hard time finding any 68s for sale online. But I do understand the reluctance to shoot numbers out, there is much to consider. Thanks
68 DT1 003325
09 XT250
06 Mar 2021 19:50 #18

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by MarkT on topic 1968 DT1 Value?

It depends on where you are located....  the coasts tend to command higher prices.  Having a title is important in some places.

I will say painting the tank again will probably add $500 to $1000...  with that and dusted off probably $3000 wouldn't be too hard at all to get anywhere in the country.  If you want to take a risk on ebay maybe a lot more than that!  Not running right is probably important to sort out too if you want the best price...  too many "ran great when parked last year" horror stories out there...  if it's something simple, fix it. 

Obviously you don't have the correct exhaust...  do you have other 68 only parts like the two-bolt mount taillight and carb with the "idle rod"?  Taillight seems especially valuable.  Those kinds of details or having even an earlier exhaust without the 250 emblem on the heat shield might add more value than the part cost...  if you can find an exhaust at a decent price.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: nhsteve
06 Mar 2021 20:14 #19

• brigsy

Thanks Mark, tank is my current project. Have a clean PA title. Painted with duplicolor cans twice before, applied vinyl pinstripe and clearcoat so that should turn out nice. We bought a 165 yr old house and had two little girls since 2018, and I've had the same tank of gas in it for a year...so definitely feel like I'm starting over here. It ran so well the first two years after restoration, started first kick every time and lots of power. But getting her back there is under way. Don't have the taillight or small tach but do have the air box and cage, possibly another speedo and a large tote full of various nuts and bolts, NOS gaskets, cables, a rear axle and other parts still in Yamaha bags. All that and the 72' DT250 would go along. Appreciate the reply!
68 DT1 003325
09 XT250
Last edit: 06 Mar 2021 20:49 by brigsy.
06 Mar 2021 20:46 #20

This message has attachments images.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart