facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

[76 DT400] Noobie question about kickstart shaft

• none_of_my_bikes_run
  • none_of_my_bikes_run's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

[76 DT400] Noobie question about kickstart shaft was created by none_of_my_bikes_run

I’m in the process of putting back together this engine and noticed that the kickstart gear/mechanism makes noise either way you spin.

It’s my understanding that the clutch spins counterclockwise while running.. Why does my kickstarter keep making that clank noise? Is some thing screwed up or am I just not understanding how that shaft is disengaged from spinning while the motor is running.

VIDEO HERE
29 Nov 2020 14:30 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

When the kickstart ratchet mechanism is returned back against the stop it moves away from the gear so for you to be able to revolve the clutch both ways it must be released or it'd pick up the ratchet revolving it backwards [Well, forwards for the clutch which is backwards for the motor] if that makes sense. To put it another way--if the motor was running & ratchet sounding then it can't be fully releasing. So at that point if you stopped the motor & turned the flywheel backwards the ratchet should lock the motor from going back any further.
Ok, i just realized there's sound with the video so i've now shot my theories to bits as it's clicking both ways without locking up in reverse. I give up. Let's know what ya find--please. Can something else click past?, can't think what.
Last edit: 29 Nov 2020 20:31 by RT325.
29 Nov 2020 20:30 #2

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter
It looks like the kick start shaft is rotating when you spin the clutch... that can't be right.

Maybe the return spring isn't engaged right or something? KIck start shaft should be completely disengaged and not rotating... or maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me... here's the video link again... seeing if it will imbed like it's supposed to.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
29 Nov 2020 21:21 #3

Yep, as MarkT says [now i play it at half speed] shaft is turning but shouldn't be. but trouble 'is', the spring is internal looking at the parts link. I did one years ago on a "74 MX250. Spring has to be pre-wound half a turn or whatever then tucked behind a tab on the tube to hold it pre-wound Then the shaft engaged & turned a bit more to release from the tab so the stop on the ratchet comes against its final stop position to get the pre-wind under tension. Somewhere in that link to the shaft the case gets involved. Think washer 18 runs against the case on the outside--as in behind what we can see in the video. There will be a dot mark on the shaft & the ratchet to set it right. If the spring is off the pre-load tab then hopefully you can still hook it & bring it around as the slot in the shaft looks long. So hopefully you can hook it in the slot with the ratchet stop out far enough to wind spring tension 'on' then push the shaft through so the ratchet stop takes over. Link below, plus a link to all the parts.

www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcy...tarter-250b-c-400b-c

www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/1976/dt400c
30 Nov 2020 02:36 #4

• none_of_my_bikes_run
  • none_of_my_bikes_run's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by none_of_my_bikes_run on topic [76 DT400] Noobie question about kickstart shaft

Oh man I hope I do not have to split this thing again..

But I'm almost certain I installed the spring correctly before closing the cases. I do remember doing the pre-wind so that it goes on the inside tab with a little bit of tension. And I remember this cause I was focused on that while setting and sealing the case - i didnt want to knock it off and have it come loose. (unfortunately this was back during the summer, I stepped away from the build for a few months so my memory is from 'months ago' instead of 'days ago' but i'm fairly certain of it.)

Another thing to note, not sure if it would make a difference - the clutch is simply placed on, I did not put the nut on and there is no pressure on it yet. I only placed the clutch on to test everything spinning when I discovered this. Also, I do have washer 18 on the outside of the case under the kickshaft.

My current theory (optimistically) is that i'm not getting this step correctly:Which is referencing this snippit from the manual, correct?

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

I'll have a chance to mess with it later today or tomorrow so we'll see. If I still can't get it, I will take a better video with more detail.
30 Nov 2020 04:55 #5

Replied by Pedalcrazy on topic [76 DT400] Noobie question about kickstart shaft

Yes I recall when I put my 76 DT400 back together that spring looked worrisome that it wouldn’t stay put and critical that it doesn’t move when tapping the cases together. I used a zip tie to hold it in place while the cases went together and cut it off at the end. First attempt at splitting the cases and putting back together was a success. Hope your spring faired as well. Also very helpful to have a service manual. Been three years since I did mine but recall you stick the kickstart in slightly to engage the spring then cock it back a quarter turn and slip it in until it hits home. Release the kicker and should spring up to “ready” position. Hope your click, click, click isn’t the spring going round in the cases.
1978 DT400E
1976 DT400C
1973 RT3
1971 RT1B
1968 DT1 (3)
Last edit: 30 Nov 2020 06:53 by Pedalcrazy.
30 Nov 2020 06:52 #6

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart