facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Rex`s speed shop 12v magneto for Dt400b

• greens8
  • greens8's Avatar Topic Author
I had problems with a powerdynamo set up on my bike when I got it. It had been allowed to get really dirty inside the magneto cover and one magnet had come off the flywheel and the stator is faulty. So I had spent time and money diagnosing it all and had bought a new regulator as it didn`t have one fitted, before I got a puller and got the flywheel off and realised how crap it was inside. I could have just replaced the stator and flywheel, I got a price etc, but I didn`t like the way there is no key way on the flywheel and it has to apparently be locktighted on. (now it seems you can get them with a groove for the woodruff key!). So anyway I did some research and decided on Rex`s speed shop item, it claimed to be fit and run...no tricky timing setup.
Now I just read a thread with several people stating that not only is it hard to fit but that they are crap at assistance. I haven`t got it yet but I hope this is not true. Any pre fitment tips anybody has would be greatly appreciated as its ready to go apart from that and I`m hanging to ride it finally.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: FrankC
09 Nov 2020 23:26 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Delcowizzid on topic Rex`s speed shop 12v magneto for Dt400b

I fitted the dual power cdi setup on my 78 dt250 it's a fully adjustable one so I can fiddle but it bolted straight on and fired up perfectly and so far has 27 hours of use no issues apart from pulling the sparkplug lead out of the coil in the bush. I did chop all the plugs off and fitted waterproof connectors cause I got salty beach puddle water in the plugs and the pins went green. Very happy customer from the other side of the world it was the most expensive part I bolted on during my restoration
10 Nov 2020 01:04 #2

Replied by Delcowizzid on topic Rex`s speed shop 12v magneto for Dt400b

The following user(s) Liked this Post: greens8
10 Nov 2020 01:16 #3

Replied by MarkT on topic Rex`s speed shop 12v magneto for Dt400b

Powerdynamo/VAPE does not need loctite to hold flywheel. And if I'm not mixing it up yours had great spark and ran great but didn't come with a regulator? At one point you said it had great voltage out of the two black wires from the stator but then after you got a regulator, couldn't get it to work... I remember trying to help but not ever seeing pictures or getting answers to some of the questions. It's very likely someone had damaged your system before you got the bike.

I have to say yours is the first Powerdynamo I've heard of that has had issues and it sounds like the problems were caused by a previous owner and/or poor maintenance/installation. Would be nice to see pictures.

Edgar, the original owner of Powerdynamo had health issues and had to sell the business. VAPE, his major component supplier, bought it. I dealt with Edgar on developing kits for the Yamaha 125 and 175's and he was always very responsive and helpful. His kits had a good warranty although I've never needed it.

With Rex, you can do a search on the forum. Some people have excellent results, the ones that haven't and have posted here about it struggle with getting the problems resolved... especially if you're not in the UK. If you do buy a Rex, make sure you ask about and get the exact Yamaha flywheel they recommend...

Another popular option is points system from a DT250 of the same vintage. Hard to find these days though, but not impossible.

P.S. would still like to see pictures of your Powerdynamo regulator, stator, and flywheel.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Bigdog302, mdscott
10 Nov 2020 06:46 #4

Replied by Bigdog302 on topic Rex`s speed shop 12v magneto for Dt400b

I have a Powerdynamo stator on my 1975 DT400 which is also known as the Super DT400. The powerdynamo on it works good and it runs like a Banshee. if the taper fit is poor due to some damage to the crankshaft taper, using valve lapping compound between the crank and flywheel surface and working it back and forth will get it to fit properly and retain the torque on the flywheel nut. just make sure you remove all the compound from the crank and flywheel before you put the flywheel on and tighten it down.

I did not have to do this on my bike and the flywheel has yet to come loose. in fact it has been pretty reliable.
2 1968 DT1s,1970 RT1M,1970 DT1C,1971 RT1B,1971 Honda Z50K2,1974 DT100A 1974DT250A,1974 Honda MT250,2 1975 DT400Bs,1975 Honda CR250M1,1978 DT175E,1979 Honda CR250R.
Dave
Jesus is Lord!
Last edit: 10 Nov 2020 12:07 by Bigdog302.
10 Nov 2020 12:06 #5

• greens8

Replied by greens8 on topic Rex`s speed shop 12v magneto for Dt400b

Yes thanks I have the exact number on a flywheel as recommended by Rex. But I never said I had anything from the 2 black wires on the powerdynamo except a fluctuating current between 0 and 44 volts, it was obviously faulty, I had to wait a long time to get the flywheel remover from Vape as the covid delays shipping here sometimes, before I could move forward with any system from there. It was only by chance I found a different supplier who does the channel for the key on the flywheel, or I would probably have gone the Powerdynamo way, which I still may.
12 Nov 2020 00:56 #6

• greens8

Replied by greens8 on topic Rex`s speed shop 12v magneto for Dt400b

Heres the powerdynamo as it came out
12 Nov 2020 01:06 #7

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by mdscott on topic Rex`s speed shop 12v magneto for Dt400b

Looks like it’s been submerged. Bummer
Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'03 ST1300
'75 Norton
'73 CB500K
'81 Honda CT110
'87 PW50
'64 McClane Edger
'02 Honda XR70R
12 Nov 2020 08:49 #8

Replied by FrankC on topic Rex`s speed shop 12v magneto for Dt400b

I bit the bullet and bought the Rex speed shop dual coil firing ignition. I assume i place my lighting coil and pulsar on the supplied stator plate? Also it says adjustable with the slots on the plate. So is there a timing mark on the plate to install it just like oem? Oem stator has that mark. Any installation querks also, other than non water proof bullet connectors. Are the wires color coded as my original pin connector from the wire harness hss been replaced by wire barrel connectors. Cant wait to try er out. I just ordered it 10 minutes ago. Thank you brothers.
04 Jan 2021 14:04 #9

Replied by turbodan on topic Rex`s speed shop 12v magneto for Dt400b

Did you get the full race kit? Sounds like you did if the stator plate is slotted.
04 Jan 2021 14:15 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart