facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Hoping to bring my old DT 360 back from the dead

I feel a bit seasick after watching that

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Just been reading through the Yamaha Bulletin again, I wonder if the 2 hours to mod the piston under warranty is still available

That surging is a real pain in the a#$£.
Yamaha CT1-B
Yamaha CT1-C
Yamaha AT1-E
Yamaha AT1-C
Yamaha CT3
1978 Yamaha DT175MX
2020 Honda CB500X
11 Aug 2021 13:13 #251

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Sneezles61 on topic Hoping to bring my old DT 360 back from the dead

I'm a thinking its got the "old scify" visual effect.. I feel a bit loopy.. need to rest me eyes.. 
If its good or not, yer riding... I'm waiting fer parts to come in... trickling may be a key word... 
Sneezles61
11 Aug 2021 13:21 #252

• Jack
  • Jack's Avatar Topic Author
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor
Yep, that's it, to a T. Dang,, was holding out hope that what was going on with mine was something different and therefore still reason to hope in finding a fix. But that is exactly how mine is acting so maybe it really is "normal" for these bikes. Man I hate to think that's true. I guess your bike did the same thing after the first rebuild too? Anyways, thanks so much for taking the time to make the video, really appreciate it. At least now I know we are talking about the same thing. Still gonna swap pilot jets when it gets here so will see what that does, or doesn't do.
11 Aug 2021 14:25 #253

Now granted it is not the same year bike and I don't know the long history it, but the '72 RT360 I briefly owned ran smooth as silk, just like a bigger version of my CT2 175, no surging at all when cruising. It didn't have the stock carbie on it, a previous owner had used a flange to spigot adapter and installed a different sized Mikuni. I'm not home at the moment but when I am I'll dig through photos to see if I can get more of a close up to show the size of the carb used. Wish I knew if it had any engine modifications but it's being enjoyed by someone else these days.

1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
2000 Suzuki RM100
2003 BMW F650GS
2009 Yamaha WR250R
2013 Yamaha XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: turbodan
11 Aug 2021 15:11 #254

This message has an attachment image.

Hell fire ! I thought of Vanishing Point when it went squiffy and the two trees loomed up on the first bit of the vid.
All i can say is i'd like my RT 1 to run that well.
I do understand and i'm not trying to make little of it because it's bloody annoying .
It's almost like it's gasping for air and fuel .
What does the MX 360 go like anyone know?
11 Aug 2021 15:14 #255

perhaps the DT360 was a one year wonder because of these charming characteristics?

but I have a DT1E (71') and it does same, albeit 10X less, almost to the point of not being noticable 

Jack - the more you ride the bike the more you will get used to the weirdness, I think 

11 Aug 2021 15:43 #256

MX has a lower inertia flywheel, so unless other things were tweaked it must be a crazy ride
11 Aug 2021 15:46 #257

Replied by Mothersbaugh on topic Hoping to bring my old DT 360 back from the dead

I have nothing insightful to add. I'll just suggest you've found out how 'they' do the dream-screen effect when Wayne and Garth slip into a dream on SNL or "Wayne's World!"
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, shyted
11 Aug 2021 16:02 #258

The MX360 is pretty sleepy down low and it takes a while before the power comes on.  From about 6000 RPM until close to 9000 it's moving pretty well.  If I felt like this old motor could withstand those kind of revs I might have played around with it more than I did.  That jug will probably remain on the shelf.

The ported and modified DT360A with the same pipe and carb pulls at least as hard as the MX360, but at a lower RPM.  Power comes on sooner and signs off right around 7000.  Nice and gutsy.
11 Aug 2021 21:25 #259

Since we're doing vids I wanted to throw my hat in too:

I know what you guys are referring to with the poor part throttle manners and inconsistent jetting. I hated it for months and months before I finally sorted it out. I believe it to be caused by several factors, primarily crankcase volume. Altering that alone did not solve the issue entirely but I didn't stuff the cases as much as I could have either. In conjunction with a larger, four petal reed block, modern carb, porting and a fancy ignition, it doesn't piss me off trying to ride this bike anymore.

Cruising at any speed is smooth and steady with no four stroking, no bucking, no surging and no pinging. The best example of this in the video is around 8 minutes and again toward the end. Most of the rest of it is marred by wind noise and the flapping of my gums.

Wish y'all could ride it. You would see what I mean. It runs properly, far better than stock.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Snglsmkr, Pete-RT1, msavitt, Jack
11 Aug 2021 21:32 #260

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart