facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

75 DT125B Restomod

• westboundbiker
  • westboundbiker's Avatar Topic Author

75 DT125B Restomod was created by westboundbiker

Moved to the right subforum- my bad !

Hey Guys!

I'm a newbie to the Enduro scene, but I've gotten in over my head on bikes before (see my chopcult build thread: www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39594 ). So while I'm a little intimidated to try a restomod instead of a chop, I'm pretty pumped too.

As I mentioned over in the intros thread, I've got a 75 DT125 that was rescued from a barn out in South Dakota from a friend of the family. They said they rode it around the farm until the wiring melted in the late 70's, and it sat ever since.

I tore down the motor a few years ago, and since then, life has gotten in the way (marriage, changing jobs, moving 3 states over, home reno, having a kid!). But I've got the itch to ride the dirt and gravel roads, and tear up trails. So what better way to do that than on vintage iron!?

I've got a much more qualified buddy working on the motor for me. He's also out of work due to the COVID, so I figure I can give him a cash infusion in return for a bit of engine work. He's got all the parts, and has diagnosed it as needing overbored, due to scuffing on the piston and cylinder.

I'm sourcing seals, gaskets, and other bits and bobs for the engine now, and am excited to hear the thing run!

So, questions for ya'll:

Anyone live in the Southwestern Indiana area, and know a good shop for boring out cylinders?

What are the offsets on the rims? I pulled them apart, and forgot to measure that, and I didn't see it in other threads that I checked, nor in any of the manuals (not to say I didn't just miss it!).

I do want to throw out there that I am an Engineer, and have 2 3D printers- so I do expect I'll end up with some 3D printed gizmos on the bike, and if anyone else wants something reverse engineered and printed, hit me up, and we can figure something out.

01 Jun 2020 17:45 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• westboundbiker
  • westboundbiker's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by westboundbiker on topic 75 DT125B Restomod

Some info that was submitted in the other thread:

Welcome to the forum. They’re a nice runaround bike. The service manual is a great help and a good learning tool. I redid mine down to every last part and made it back together. It even runs damn good! If you had electrical issues with the harness, do yourself a favor and drop $200 or so in the DEET time machine and get a new harness made with modern materials. Plug and play. Done. Plenty of help here on the 125 12v system. I even help from time to time.
Offset measurements coming up. I did the same thing. You might have to fine tune after mounting on your bike to center exactly.

Mine are centered as follows: front is 1/8” on left side, rear is 1-1/4” on left side. That’s measuring from a straight edge placed on the rim to the inside of the left side of the hub. Should get ya close. No pictures as it’s a three handed game. Hope I helped.

Props to 2fishkev for that info!
Last edit: 02 Jun 2020 06:09 by westboundbiker.
02 Jun 2020 06:09 #2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart