facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Re:CT3 Chips and sounds

• Bruh1234
  • Bruh1234's Avatar Topic Author

CT3 Chips and sounds was created by Bruh1234

To start off, I'm mostly a noob and I've been a lurker in these parts all summer, this place has answered many questions already, many thanks.

I picked up the CT3 pictured earlier this summer for about $300. It's been a fun project, my first attempt at anything like this. When I got it it had a the biggest mouse nest I've ever seen in the exhaust, the reed housing had nearly rotted away, the carburetor had been 'attacked' (was missing all the brass vent hose attachments, and had a mud wasp nest built around the needle jet), the gear oil looked like milk, and one by one each oil seal failed throughout work, the tacgometer and speedometer still work and the odometer indicates 1300 miles.

So I cleaned out the nest, bought an 'imported' carb(then bought another that fit) put in an ebay reed valve, various other small jobs (cables and brakes included) and she runs and drives now.

Getting ready to put new tires on and register it but I have a couple more questions before I hit the road. There's two noises and a hole that looks real unintended.

Noise 1: squeaky kind of noise from the piston, I assume it's the heat fins from other posts here, but it's hard to pin down, sounds like the valve crickets chirping in a newer subaru

noise 2: the transmission breather makes a disconcerting whoosh sound when kicking the bike over, holding your finger over the tube it doesn't seem to be a while lot of air coming or going to make the sound, so it's weird.

Lastly there's a hole right behind where the magneto cover meets the crankcase, right past the case serial, it's not a round hole and if you spill gas around the carburetor it runs into the hole and out through magneto compartment, I want to jb weld it but I wanna be sure it's not intentional. I attached a picture with an arrow.

I appreciate any insight anyone might have, hopefully I wasn't too long winded. Thanks

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
18 Sep 2020 09:24 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by darinm on topic CT3 Chips and sounds

Hey nice complete find on that CT3. A video of the sounds would potentially help a lot, just throw it on youtube and then link here. As far as the hole, my CT2 has it too and I assume it's stock, the magneto needs to breathe.
1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
2000 Suzuki RM100
2003 BMW F650GS
2009 Yamaha WR250R
2013 Yamaha XT250
18 Sep 2020 09:28 #2

• Bruh1234

Replied by Bruh1234 on topic Re:CT3 Chips and sounds

You know that's a good point about the sounds, I'll get a video of both this afternoon to put up for a listen, hearing that the opening on the crankcase isn't unique also calms me. Thanks for the reply.

18 Sep 2020 09:43 #3

• Bruh1234

Replied by Bruh1234 on topic Re:CT3 Chips and sounds

Alright, sorry for the delay, we had a surprise rainstorm up here betwixt the forrest fires, everything was flooding, wasn't great. I got to the bike though and got some video of the sounds.

Now that Im listening to the whoosh I'm thinking it's improved since the oil seals but you can kinda hear it at the start.
Skip to 0:55 for the 'fin noise'

Sorry for the horrible angles, the top end noise is real clear clear though.
Any replies appreciated.

19 Sep 2020 16:24 #4

Replied by darinm on topic Re:CT3 Chips and sounds

Can't say right or wrong but my CT2 breather makes that same sound and always has since I got it. On starting it sounds like standard piston slap, maybe a touch louder than average - but cell phone microphones tend to exaggerate it. The 175cc bikes seem especially prone to it, mine had it ~1k miles after a new top end. If compression is good (a good idle is a good indication of good compression) I wouldn't sweat it.

Here is a CT3 I was working on earlier in the summer, as well as my CT2, recorded the sound with a good microphone and the two bikes are not so different from yours.
1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
2000 Suzuki RM100
2003 BMW F650GS
2009 Yamaha WR250R
2013 Yamaha XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Bruh1234
19 Sep 2020 16:54 #5

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by MarkT on topic Re:CT3 Chips and sounds

I think the "whoosh" you're hearing is intake noise. Not the breather.

Microphones pick up sounds differently so it's hard for me to diagnose rattles. Doesn't sound too abnormal or anything.

You might want to check piston to cylinder clearance and the big end bearing while you have the top end off... not that hard... or just run it.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Bruh1234
19 Sep 2020 17:24 #6

• Bruh1234

Replied by Bruh1234 on topic Re:Re:CT3 Chips and sounds

Awesome, I'm done worrying about the whoosh, and the the rest of the sounds are looking normal as well judging by the sound of the other bikes.

I suppose I'll start looking at a license plate and some tires. I'll keep my ear on the top end noise for now and if it gets worse start checking stuff, for now I figure she runs good and still pulls hard.

Thanks for the responses guys.

20 Sep 2020 09:27 #7

Replied by darinm on topic Re:Re:CT3 Chips and sounds

Worth doing the brakes when you do the tires, the old ones can delaminate and jam.
1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
2000 Suzuki RM100
2003 BMW F650GS
2009 Yamaha WR250R
2013 Yamaha XT250
20 Sep 2020 11:34 #8

• Bruh1234

Replied by Bruh1234 on topic Re:Re:CT3 Chips and sounds

I think I'll take your advice there, the front brake is brand new but the back...
I was taking the front wheel off a month ago for some spokes and a tube and both shoes fell out of the hub as soon as I dropped the wheel. I'd rode it around beforehand and I'd just figured they were noisy.
I imagine that on the road would be considered bad.
21 Sep 2020 07:44 #9

Replied by EnduroNewbie on topic Re:Re:CT3 Chips and sounds

Glad I found this thread. A few months ago I'd owned an AT3 which is gone now. It both had slight ringing in the top end which I think was the exhaust (took the pipe off and recorded, no noise) and the breather hole thing was throwing me for a loop big time. I couldn't even see the hole and when I was washing the bike I was consistently watching water pool in that spot and just disappear. I was kind of confused and worried about where it was going, but when nothing happened I gave up thinking about it. Funny to think there's some sort of little drain there.

I'd have never guessed.
13 Nov 2020 00:54 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart