facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

1969 painted as a 68

Replied by Pedalcrazy on topic 1969 painted as a 68

I had heard that the info on the rims was in jeopardy when re-chroming but I had mine done anyway. I have several sets of 68 date coded rims so definitely was using them for my bikes. I was pleasantly surprised when I got them back that the info is still there and readable.  The cost was $250 per rim so not cheap. But I know another place was $300 each and I’m very pleased with the chrome shop that had the $250 price.
1978 DT400E
1976 DT400C
1973 RT3
1971 RT1B
1968 DT1 (3)
The following user(s) Liked this Post: AirborneSilva
Last edit: 12 Jan 2023 14:56 by Pedalcrazy.
12 Jan 2023 14:54 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• shyted
  • shyted's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by shyted on topic 1969 painted as a 68

Getting rims re chromed isn't cheap. I have had a couple of pairs done including the ones on my HT1B.
They saved the lettering on all the rims i had done more out of luck due to their condition.
So here's an update on the parts.
I have the bearings ,seals and everything for a crank rebuild.
Pistons and rings along with the pins.
I found a proper inlet tract clamp at Fowlers in Bristol, U.K.
Front spokes. I got one set for £40 and another minus nipples for £18. One unmarked good set between them. I have polished them up and they look great.
The carb is leaking fuel too i've noticed so i will be having a mooch in there to see what's going on.
12 Jan 2023 16:35 #12

Replied by nhsteve on topic 1969 painted as a 68

Went back to evilBay and saw these. First is in the UK. Second one I think is the one I was looking at earlier that another member suggested. I just did a quick search, I know the second one is wrong size.

19x1.85 wm2 36 hole chrome motorcycle rim wheel front rear | eBay

wheel rim chrome steel 1,40 x 19 holes 36 NEW | eBay

Depending on your goals in rebuilding, it would probably be worth an initial contact asking about the size/brand markings, if any. I bought a NOS Takasago rim for my rear rim, and on arrival found the brand name deeply etched into the side of the rim taking up almost 6" of space. Not acceptable for my goals. 

I suggest further discussion be taken to a different post, rather than hijack this one?

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: AirborneSilva
Last edit: 13 Jan 2023 08:29 by nhsteve. Reason: info added
13 Jan 2023 08:26 #13

Replied by AirborneSilva on topic 1969 painted as a 68

Thanks for the links, now back to your regularly scheduled thread 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

2023 Tenere T7
1976 DT400C
1975 DT400
1981 DT175H
1972 DT2 250
1980 GT80
1972 JT2
13 Jan 2023 08:30 #14

• shyted
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Well,it's in a hundred pieces now. Rims were really bad when i removed the tyres. Rims have been rechromed at £150 each, a set of spokes from the US. I have refinished the hubs and masked them up for laquering and replacing every bearing has been essential due to them being full of mud and grease. Crunchy as anything . The carb had mud in it,the piston was way smaller than the size for the bore and frankly,i wonder how it ran. Starting it was touch and go. If you opened the throttle at all,it wouldn't run. The little O ring in the carb was rock hard and flat.On start up,it smoked like a chimney.
It looks to all the world that it's had an inch of water in the motor as each case is corroded and pitted. I have had to get rid of all that and repair it all with aluminium resin.
One thing i didn't notice was the front forks. They want rechroming and had been cleaned up and coated with laquer or something,in the same spot on each fork leg. So that meant that the guides were probably knackered as well. One was badly scored so lucky really . The steering head bearings were okay .
So i have decided to paint it back to the original colour which is Candy Orange by the code from Yamaha. However,it's not quite as easy as that. The paint people near me dont recognise that colour and i have nothing to sample it from. So i tried to contact Randy Marble to see if he would supply mme with a paint code and system the codes from ( ICI,Dupont,Glasurit ) but no response. It's not orange like the CT3 as they're 70s colours with heavy particles of metalic in them. It's like the CT1C and almost the same as the early FS1E 50 we had here in the UK. If i get the code and whos system it's from,i can get it made.
Last edit: 04 Dec 2023 10:28 by shyted.
04 Dec 2023 10:25 #15

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic 1969 painted as a 68

Dave, if it helps and if you cover the postage both ways, I can see if any of my CT1C parts aren't too sun faded (oil tank underneath the seat is probably best bet) and you can borrow to try and get a match. Maybe worth considering if no-one else can help.
04 Dec 2023 10:39 #16

• shyted
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Thank's for the offer Al.
Leave it till after Christmas as tomorrow i'm back to work and don't return till Christmas week.
It will be as a last resort as i would hate for it to get lost or damaged but if that happens to be the option that's open then i will take you up onn that.
They just scan it in and that's it. They matched the paint in the Ducati and it's spot on. They use a scanner/camera and it brings the mix up on the screen. I matched an original side case for the CT1B and that's bang on too !
Last edit: 04 Dec 2023 10:51 by shyted.
04 Dec 2023 10:50 #17

Replied by Swoop56 on topic 1969 painted as a 68

RS Paints in the UK do sell premixed paint in that colour .
04 Dec 2023 11:14 #18

Replied by Pete-RT1 on topic 1969 painted as a 68

Dave, it is the same as the ‘73 Fizzy.
As swoop says, RS Paints do a version.
Yamaha CT1-B
Yamaha CT1-C
Yamaha AT1-E
Yamaha AT1-C
Yamaha CT3
1978 Yamaha DT175MX
2020 Honda CB500X
04 Dec 2023 11:28 #19

Replied by Swoop56 on topic 1969 painted as a 68

The same colour was used on a number of bikes in that era .
71/72 DS7 , & 71 XS1 B amongst others .
04 Dec 2023 11:47 #20

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart