facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Removing Knee pads safely

• djg8493
  • djg8493's Avatar Topic Author

Removing Knee pads safely was created by djg8493

Hi, I know this seems like an obvious question but I just got my hands on a Yl2C tank that I will need to strip and repaint. The rubber knee pads are in good shape but do feel a bit brittle. Before I go prying and damage them is there any tricks to getting them off safely so they can be reused? I did try searching and could not find anything.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
21 Jan 2021 09:21 #1

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by apex on topic Removing Knee pads safely

Heat. A heat gun may be overkill but a good blow drier will warm the rubber enough to make it more pliable.
Allrighty Then
The following user(s) Liked this Post: nhsteve
21 Jan 2021 09:26 #2

• djg8493

Replied by djg8493 on topic Removing Knee pads safely

Thank You!, is there any adhesive holding them on or do they just press in to grooves?
21 Jan 2021 09:31 #3

Replied by apex on topic Removing Knee pads safely

Usually the pad has receivers for tabs on the chrome panel, or the pad levers over a ridge. Either way, once the pad softens with heat you'll be able to get a peek underneath to see what you need to do.
Allrighty Then
21 Jan 2021 09:37 #4

• djg8493

Perfect, appreciate the help!
21 Jan 2021 09:42 #5

Replied by JGersh on topic Removing Knee pads safely

You might want to rejuvenate the rubber before you attempt removal to avoid damage. You can use Rubber Restore or AT-205.
2 - ‘68 DT1
‘70 RT1
‘70 CT1-B
2 - ‘70 HT-1’s
‘12 Triumph Scrambler
21 Jan 2021 12:47 #6

This message has an attachment image.

Replied by MarkT on topic Removing Knee pads safely

Look on ebay and you can see pictures of the parts.

The tank has a raised rim and the pads have a flap that "hooks over" that raised rim. Pads should slide around a little... slide the pad as far as you can towards where you want to start to try to disengage it... I'd probably try to slide it up towards the gas cap forward rounded edge and then gently get under the pad at that corner... kind of bend the edge up away from the tank to disengage the flap from under the raised rim and then work along the edge towards the rear of the tank peeling the flap out from under the rim.

Sliding down and back and starting at the rear lower corner might work too... just kind of go around... try to slide the pad as far as you can towards where you want to start... and then bend the edge of the pad away from the tank gently to disengage the flap.

I try to slide the pad around and then start wherever I can slide the pad the farthest... the farther you can slide it, the closer you are to having the flap on the pad out from under the tabs or rim on the tank.

Arrows point to opening under rubber flap that hooks over rim or tabs on tank.

Some tanks had a "bolt on" side panel that had more "tab like" retainers... if you have a larger countersunk screw under where the Yamaha emblem bolts on, you have that type. Yours looks more like the solid rim type... principle is the same either way. Arrow points to opening in rim that pad "hooks over"

Hope that helps.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
22 Jan 2021 02:38 #7

This message has attachments images.

• djg8493

This is exactly the one I have, Thank you!. I figured out that the bottom right corner in your picture has a little notch cut into the rubber, this allowed be to pull that corner off easier and the rest moved along. I appreciate the help.
22 Jan 2021 06:41 #8

• djg8493

On another note this is the strangest tank as far as coating process. The chrome was peeling bad so I started to strip it, as you can see I was able to peel the layer off like it was wrapped in a thin layer of tin foil. The entire tank was chromed and the black surface is painted over the chrome. You can clearly see the line where air got under the chrome and where it stops the tank metal is like brand new.
22 Jan 2021 06:44 #9

This message has attachments images.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart