facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

HT-1 Oil Pump

• Jimbo56
  • Jimbo56's Avatar Topic Author

HT-1 Oil Pump was created by Jimbo56

I'm new to this forum and appreciate any help. I apologize if my questions are a bit unusual and if they were answered previously.

I acquired a complete 1971 Yammie HT-1 recently and I began an amateur restoration on it. The bike does not appear to need much from a mechanical perspective, but I admit I'm mechanically challenged, so I'm not sure. The motor has good compression and it shifts thru the gears fine. But, it hasn't been started in years.

My questions are regarding the autolube, which I would like to continue to use. I'm just not sure when it comes time to start the bike whether I can trust the oil pump to function properly. I would like to test it somehow before that point. So, does the pump only function when the motor is running or if I were to disconnect the oil line to the cylinder and kick the bike over with full throttle, would oil be expelled thru the line (indicating the pump is working)?

Too, if I don't trust the pump, is it safe to put oil in the oil tank assuming the pump does work AND pre-mix a little gas to try to start it? If the pump does function, I don't want the mix too rich from the pump and pre-mix.

Any advice, guidance and help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jim
09 Jan 2021 16:34 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic HT-1 Oil Pump

Two or 3 ways to verify its working. Could pull the line as you said then revolve the plastic wheel till your finger falls off. Or what i'd do is put a short screw in the cylinder hole & mix a bit of oil in the fuel then start it & set it up to a fast idle & watch the pulses out of the line & pull the oil pump cable at the adjuster as an easy way of getting varying & full pump stroke. If the system is empty you could remove the small bleed screw in the side of the pump & lean the bike over to the right a bit & just let it flow for a minute. with the motor then stopped just operate the throttle to make sure the cable is all good right to the pump as can get rusted where it goes through the adjuster. Can't beat new cables for nice movement. Love the old HT1 & should never have sold mine. Kids even roadraced it lol.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, swm, Jimbo56
09 Jan 2021 18:51 #2

Replied by MarkT on topic HT-1 Oil Pump

Running on 32:1 premix and the pump won't hurt anything. Some members do it all the time. I do it for the exact reason you are. And it's what Yamaha recommended for racing. Just use the same oil.

I usually mix up a half gallon or so of premix and after pump is verified I just top off tank with regular gas.

Flushing the tank and bleeding the pump before you do anything is something I always do. Procedure for bleeding is in the manual in the Tech Library.

Oil won't be gushing out... it's more a slow drip. A few cc's per 200 pump strokes which you can measure by rotating pump wheel and counting pump strokes or with engine running which is a lot easier. Pulling line and blocking cylinder port with bolt allows you to measure pump output with engine running...
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Jimbo56
09 Jan 2021 19:05 #3

Replied by RT325 on topic HT-1 Oil Pump

Here's mine haha, but doesn't get into it until 3 minutes or so. Click the 'youtube' link. Hope this is only a link as don't want to hog your post with the full video of my irrelevant stuff.

Sorry looks like the lot, can easily remove, just ask please.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
Last edit: 09 Jan 2021 19:10 by RT325.
09 Jan 2021 19:07 #4

Replied by Mothersbaugh on topic HT-1 Oil Pump

Welcome to the forum. You don't seem the least bit mechanically challenged to me, friend. All your ideas were sound. :beerchug
10 Jan 2021 06:51 #5

• Jimbo56
  • Jimbo56's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Jimbo56 on topic HT-1 Oil Pump

Thank you all for sharing information with me. I think I am in good shape to finish up my project. All I need is a battery and 2 cycle oil and I'll be cranking the bike up soon!!
11 Jan 2021 18:39 #6

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart