facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Yamaha DT1B - 1969 Oil Leak

• stevebones
  • stevebones's Avatar Topic Author

Yamaha DT1B - 1969 Oil Leak was created by stevebones

Before I get started on what is needed, I wanted to provide some background on my Yamaha DT1B, 1969. I purchased the bike back in May. It ran when purchased but needed some work. Most of what I focused on was regarding the fuel system. Rebuilt the carb, which included adjusting the float bowl level, cleaning, and replacing the gas tank seals and replacing the air filter. Now on to other items on the bike. I am looking into rebuilding the engine and have questions.

1) I am looking to replacing all bearings and seals. I understand that Yamaha does not provide replacement parts. Wanted to ask who you recommend for engine bearing and seal replacement.

2) I have the Yamaha DT1F manual and parts catalog. I also have the Clymer's (sp?) manual on the DT1 as well. I will use these to go through the engine rebuilding. Wanted to ask if there are other manuals, videos or something else you would recommend to help with rebuilding. This will be my first time rebuilding a two stroke. I do have experience working on the newer Yamaha 450YZ's and auto engines.

3) I have an oil leak and wanted to determine the potential source. Included is a picture of the left side engine with the two covers removed. The leak appears to be from the bottom opening located on the left side of the engine cover screw in the attached photo. Any ideas on what might be the cause and source of the leak?

Thanks for you help.

Steve
25 Jul 2020 14:04 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic Yamaha DT1B - 1969 Oil Leak

My 250 or one of my 360.s had an oil leak from that screw where someone has either fitted screw too long & forced into the gearbox, or tried to thread the hole deeper & forced the threading tap pointy nose through. Might've been me lol, or i bought it like that, can't remember but came up with some dodgy plan to stop the leak. By memory i sealed a long threaded stud in there to use the length of the threaded hole so i didn't have to remove it every time & just take a nut off that one & leave the stud in place.
26 Jul 2020 05:14 #2

Replied by Midlife Motor on topic Yamaha DT1B - 1969 Oil Leak

I am also doing a full engine rebuild on a 69 DT1B.

For the service manual, look to the top of this screen and click on Tech Library. Click on Service Manuals, then click on the 69-71 DT1 maunual. I did this for my CT1 also, printing it all out and putting it in a three ring binder.

The proper OEM seals can be purchased from Enduronut on this site. I just received two crank seals from him. I recommend the OEM seals and bearings.

Keep posting pics of your project. Folks here love to help.
It's better to remain silent and be considered a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
26 Jul 2020 11:39 #3

• stevebones

Replied by stevebones on topic Yamaha DT1B - 1969 Oil Leak

Thanks RT325 for sharing your own oil leak experiences. I will keep an close look out for what you had seen and experienced.

Thanks also to Midlife Motor for tips on using the service manual on this sight. Thanks for the recommendation on seals as well.
26 Jul 2020 12:52 #4

Replied by MarkT on topic Yamaha DT1B - 1969 Oil Leak

Whoever told you parts are not available from Yamaha was incorrect... many parts are.

Crank seals on that model aren't available from Yamaha... but many other seals and bearings are still available new from Yamaha. Pays to check before buying overpriced "NOS" parts from eBay you could have ordered from Yamaha for half the price.

Enduronut and DEET on here have a lot of NOS parts as well.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
26 Jul 2020 13:07 #5

• stevebones

Replied by stevebones on topic Yamaha DT1B - 1969 Oil Leak

MarkT - Thanks for your input. Very helpful and much appreciated. In trying to get up to speed on Yamaha DT1's, and reading a whole bunch of material, I somehow became a bit confused on what is available and what is not.

I have seen posts from DEET and purchased a few items. Enduronut is someone I will reach out to as well.

Steve
27 Jul 2020 14:58 #6

Replied by Cruiser84 on topic Yamaha DT1B - 1969 Oil Leak

STEVEBONES - good timing with this post as I'm dealing with the same issue with my 1969 DT1B. What's weird is that it only leaks from time to time. Haven't nailed down the cause yet as I'm having too much fun riding around town. Gotta take advantage of the nice weather while I can and adding a little oil here and there is easier than replacing seals at the moment... Rainy days aren't too far away.

Best of luck and please keep us in the loop with photos on replacing the seals. Dig the high fender, been on the hunt for one.
09 Aug 2020 17:28 #7

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart