facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

How to check a rectifier or diode....

Some of the Yamaha rectifier checking info can be misleading. So here are the simplified DEET instructions....

This shows using the Yamaha multimeter using the 100 ohm resistance method. The most accurate method uses a digital voltmeter set to "diode" mode.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

This image is hidden for guests.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Where the Yamaha Enduro is still a current model...
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Makotosun, Steve F, James Hart, Bigdog302
Last edit: 28 May 2015 12:34 by DEET.
28 May 2015 12:34 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by jay.biery on topic How to check a rectifier or diode....

Good info. Just so happens I was checking mine the other night and it appears to be open regardless of meter leads. I did some Ebay searching, and there are lots of 6v rectifiers out there new & used. The one my bike calls for is 315-81970-61-00. What do you recommend??
06 Jul 2015 13:01 #2

Replied by DEET on topic How to check a rectifier or diode....

If the stock one is available, I would use it.

If you are an electronics guru, you can use whatever your expertise tells you.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: jay.biery
06 Jul 2015 15:55 #3

Replied by s900t8v on topic How to check a rectifier or diode....

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=makotosu-08bc-47da-8e7d-68e3ee6e51ca&siteid=0&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=301544569107&version=889&trackingid=&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Replied by MarkT on topic How to check a rectifier or diode....

Rectifier on early bikes is not a regulator... it's just a diode which is like a "one way" valve that only allows the "+" pulse of the AC power to get to the battery... in other words the rectifier converts AC to DC for the battery charging.

A stock or stock replacement "6 v" rectifier will not restrict the voltage if you go to 12 volts.

Some later models used a rectifier/regulator combo unit but the one in the ebay picture is just a rectifier.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
03 Dec 2015 18:21 #5

Replied by Don magruder on topic How to check a rectifier or diode....

Bought 1974 dt360 last week ,bike runs well, the lights don't work and tryed to check the retifier with a ohm meter, didn't get any Reeding,. would that cause the lights not to work
09 Apr 2018 16:51 #6

No..... assuming all the electrical system is stock.
If someone rewired it, then who knows....

Last edit: 09 Apr 2018 17:14 by DEET.
09 Apr 2018 17:12 #7

Since Photobucket is the worst group of crooks on the planet, I have reloaded the How-To photos to the forum storage.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Makotosun, MarkT, 2fishkev, 1971DT250, FrankC, Badger52, Dirtboy, JayB, Free
Last edit: 09 Apr 2018 19:27 by Makotosun.
09 Apr 2018 17:24 #8

This message has attachments images.

Replied by kenny on topic How to check a rectifier or diode....

hi
i had a question have any off you put an regulator on your dt1 ?
i had some troubles with my rear light on my dt1 i replaced my rectifier and now my rear light works fine
but am i better i also put an regulator in my circuit ?
i burned out 2 front light bulbs before thats why i was woundering

thanks

kenny
13 Aug 2018 11:37 #9

Replied by RT325 on topic How to check a rectifier or diode....

I'v used them on various yamaha's over the years but a long time ago. Think i used to hook it with the blue tail light wire if yours is magneto tail light not dc powered [different markets have different systems]. Blue gets everywhere that matters right up to the headlight & instruments where they all hook together in the switch. If you have a good quality one i think you could join it with the yellow coming from the mag & that'll get everywhere except it's getting a hard time with lights off. Think the IT series Yamaha finned alloy one would [could] handle it ok. I'd better give a plug for Rex's Speed Shop but any of this type single wire from an IT250 [or any of the same] would work. www.rexs-speedshop.com/Yamaha-TY350-1985-86-Regulator
Just to edit my thoughts--the only reason via the blue wire could be a problem is 'if' the dip switch broke contact when changing from low to high beam rather than overlapping as it changes for a fraction of a second but not a very likely problem.
Last edit: 13 Aug 2018 22:19 by RT325.
13 Aug 2018 22:09 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart