facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

How does the 1971 Yamaha flasher relay work?

• AZFIREBALL
  • AZFIREBALL's Avatar Topic Author
I am working on the directional flashers for a 1971 HT1 90cc Yamaha. It has a 6 volt, two prong flasher unit under the tank. I removed the ‘can’ off the flasher unit expecting to find Thermo-electric bi-metal switching arrangement. However, what I find is a set of points setting atop a magnetic pole shaft which is wound with a coil of very fine wire and then wound over that is a coil with very heavy wire. (A heavy wire coil wound directly onto the a very small wire coil; covering it completely.)

It looks like some kind of ‘buzzer’ arrangement to me. There is one lead that terminates in the upper portion of the can thru a sealed partition, which I did not tear into.

I got it to work ok by repairing a bad solder joint. And while holding it off the bike I got a nice little jolt of electricity when the directional light switch was activated while I was touching the bike’s handlebar.

I am interested in knowing how it is able to flash the directional lights.
Anyone know how it works or maybe can supply a circuit diagram of what is inside this type flasher can.?
23 Jul 2018 17:00 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Not an electrical guy but does it seem similar to the mechanical one in the first drawing.
www.arrow.com/en/research-and-events/art...tromechanical-relays
23 Jul 2018 18:56 #2

• AZFIREBALL

Replied by AZFIREBALL on topic How does the 1971 Yamaha flasher relay work?

No. That is a standard SPDT relay.
The flasher can had one coil on top of the other. Both around the same pole piece, with a contact flapper on the top, like a buzzer.
23 Jul 2018 20:07 #3

I think you would have found a capacitor inside... I'm not an electronics guy but my basic understanding of that type is the coils and capacitor work together to delay charging the resulting electromagnet from operating the contact points.

It's been a long time since I had one apart... I can't remember if the points are spring loaded open and when the electromagnet charges up the points close so the circuit discharges and so the points open or the other way around with points closed and electromagnet opening them.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: FrankC
23 Jul 2018 20:57 #4

• AZFIREBALL

Replied by AZFIREBALL on topic How does the 1971 Yamaha flasher relay work?

I found my answer at:
www.patu.ca/xt500%20electrical.htm
Scroll all the way down to the end of the article; in the paragraph titled Signal Lights.
Now I see why I was being zapped!

Lots of other good info on this site!

www.patu.ca/index.htm
The following user(s) Liked this Post: FrankC, Silo7, Mauser
23 Jul 2018 21:32 #5

Thank you for digging in to this. Wanted to repair my relay from 75 DT but also didn’t know the function since this is NOT a thermal relay. Now I know the cap is potted in place since it is not visible and the lead from resistor terminates at potting, making it very difficult to service. At least now I know and will work on a solution for removing the potting material, old capacitor material and attempt to add a replacement cap.
25 Aug 2019 19:16 #6

Did anyone find a way to fix the original 1971 flasher? My turn signal lights will light, but they don't flash. When I go left to right I can feel a click in the flasher relay, and I took it apart and it actually looks very clean. I'm assuming the potted capacitor at the bottom may have gone bad, and I was wondering if I could just put another capacitor in there. I ran some fine grit sandpaper across the contacts to clean them, and put it back in but it still won't blink. I know from working on guitar amplifiers that capacitors don't last 50 years, so that's probably the issue. If I knew the value I needed, I might be able to stuff one in there.

16 Mar 2022 12:32 #7

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Gr8uncleal
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic How does the 1971 Yamaha flasher relay work?

I got a couple to work by widening the points gap - just bend the arm a smidge.
16 Mar 2022 13:43 #8

So there's supposed to be a gap between the points? As I took it out they're just touching at rest.

16 Mar 2022 13:59 #9

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Pete-RT1
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by Pete-RT1 on topic How does the 1971 Yamaha flasher relay work?

Have you checked the wattage of the lightbulbs fitted?
Yamaha CT1-B
Yamaha CT1-C
Yamaha AT1-E
Yamaha AT1-C
Yamaha CT3
1978 Yamaha DT175MX
2020 Honda CB500X
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
16 Mar 2022 15:41 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart