facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Do I really need the lighting coil?

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
My second newbie off the wall question.

I have a 1975 DT 250B. The bike has been stripped by the previous owner of all wiring, lighting, gauges etc. It has 4 wires coming from the points/magneto. The green, yellow, green/red are cut and taped and then shoved under the tank. The black wire goes to the coil. I'll be adding a kill switch into this equation soon (the P.O. used a screwdriver to the sparkplug terminal as an off switch).

I started the bike yesterday and it ran for about 30 seconds and then the dreaded no spark issue. I checked for spark at the plug and nothing, then with a new plug and nothing. At this point with the hokey wiring I traced each wire to the case looking for any possible grounding and couldn't see any so off with the flywheel cover and no spark at the points??? I removed the flywheel only to discover it looks like a nasty home-brew solder of wires and jumpers. After looking at the rats nest I figured out what was stock and what was not. Actually it was easy as whoever went in there with a soldering gun used insulated solid core wire, it looks like doorbell wiring.

It was at this point I started to wonder if I really need the lighting coil at all? Can I eliminate the lighting coil completely? This would eliminate the 3 wires I already have no use for (I will not be adding lights on later) and at the same time clean up the magneto/points/condenser area. I also see where there is a jumper wire that goes from the source coil to the lighting coil and wondered if this is a common shared ground or something more than a ground.

Thanks in advance,
Doug "Curly"
Last edit: 23 Jul 2015 07:10 by .
23 Jul 2015 07:10 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Bigdog302 on topic Do I really need the lighting coil?

the lighting coil is there for the headlight. if it is going to be a off road only bike with no headlight to be used,it can be disconnected and ran that way.

on the no spark issue,it could be a fouled plug or the points got dirty or the wiring is messed up. there should be no spark at all at the points,this points to a bad condenser.

I would get a known good spark plug and see if there is spark,if there still is no spark,I would take a look at the points,make sure the open and close and dress them with a little sand paper.

if you get it running,might look through the apetures on the spinning flywheel in the area where the points are and make sure you don't see any sparking there. if there is sparking,it will foul the points again in short order,it would be wise to replace the points and condenser

Sudco still makes points and condensers for this bike should you need them.
2 1968 DT1s,1970 RT1M,1970 DT1C,1971 RT1B,1971 Honda Z50K2,1974 DT100A 1974DT250A,1974 Honda MT250,2 1975 DT400Bs,1975 Honda CR250M1,1978 DT175E,1979 Honda CR250R.
Dave
Jesus is Lord!
23 Jul 2015 14:07 #2

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by MarkT on topic Do I really need the lighting coil?

Some of the "off road" Yamaha's came with lighting coils (not connected to anything) or a "dummy" lighting coil that was basically just the core without the windings...

That leads me to believe leaving the coil in place is a good idea... even if you don't use it.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
23 Jul 2015 17:39 #3

Replied by bluntz465 on topic Do I really need the lighting coil?

Spelled DUMMY LOAD?
Leave it,will keep the voltage in the designed range.
1957 Cushman Eagle 1969 Honda 90 ATC 1969 Honda CB250
1973 Yamaha AT3 1974 Kawasaki KH440 1974 Honda XR75
1975 Suzuki TS75 1975 Kawasaki GreenStreak 90 1975 Suzuki GT550
1975 Suzuki TS250 1976 Suzuki GT550 1976 Indian Chief
1976 Yamaha YZ80 1978 Yamaha IT175 1980 Suzuki GS550
1982 Yamaha IT465J
The following user(s) Liked this Post:
Last edit: 23 Jul 2015 20:39 by bluntz465.
23 Jul 2015 20:16 #4

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I went through everything, fresh plug=no spark, all the way down to the points and still no spark. Pulled the flywheel and I thought the points might be worn down just from how they were at the end of the adjusting slot and the felt was missing so I ordered points and condenser. Sure enough the part of the points that runs on the hub is extremely worn.Wait for a new felt to arrive. I decided to clean up the multitude of splices and crack insulation in the wiring. Soldered all connections and everything got treated to heat shrink to minimize any accidental wire exposures. It looks from the cuts and splices someone has already swapped out the source coil.

Thanks for the info.
26 Jul 2015 20:41 #5

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Still waiting for the felt wiper to arrive. I have a question on a jumper wire while I wait for parts. The source coil is wired in with one lead going to the lighting coil and the other going to the condenser as I have seen in countless illustrations so I'm confident that portion is correct. However on the lighting coil it appears as someone has placed a jumper from the upper and outer lead of the lighting coil to the points. So at the points I have a wire that goes to the condenser + a wire that goes to the lighting coil. Any ideas on what someone was attempting here? Every diagram and parts manual shows only one wire going to the points and that is the one from the condenser.
08 Aug 2015 05:18 #6

• Visitor
  • Visitor
I would talk to the guy you got it from. If he had it running and shut it off with a screwdriver then maybe he can explain the logic behind the wiring. Anyone else would just have to guess.
09 Sep 2015 21:26 #7

Replied by mulletjocks on topic Do I really need the lighting coil?

the screwdriver was doing the exact same job as the kill switch i rekon, grounding out the spark which kills the motor. It works every time, just watch out for the zap.
with a little help from the "shift" key, 4 Stroke becomes $ Stroke
09 Sep 2015 23:48 #8

Replied by Johnny on topic Do I really need the lighting coil?

been going through the "how do i wire my magneto correct" currently... but i think i got it or at least pretty close, still gotta wire in the lights. i have a 75 dt250 .. so i ran one wire off the ignition coil, to the condenser the other wire outta the ig coil i ran to the lighting/charging coil... the L/C coil has to be there weather it works or not, im 92% sure at least. i tried pulling it because it had melted and was arcing to ground at a certain rpm and acting like a kill switch. reluctant to spend 120$ for a bike i paid 350$ for was hard at first so i tried everything i could think of first... with out it there i couldnt get spark. finally spent the money and now i have hot spark that starts first kick... still working on the lights and tuning but at least its headed the right direction... learning everyday..slowly....and always the hard way, but still learning none the less.

Last edit: 20 Sep 2015 13:24 by DEET.
20 Sep 2015 00:25 #9

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by MotoMan354 on topic Do I really need the lighting coil?

Just a matter of personal preference. Dave Rymal likes to keep everything stock and leaves them in. I believe a part that is not there cannot cause me any problems and pull them out. Fact is that the ignition and lighting are 2 separate systems so keep it or leave it, totally up to you. Jeff
To race is to live and everything else is just waiting.
24 Sep 2015 12:39 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart