facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Ct3 exhaust string gasket

• Barrya
  • Barrya's Avatar Topic Author

Ct3 exhaust string gasket was created by Barrya

My question is about the string exhaust gasket that fits in the front chrome outlet a the cylinder head which the front end of the exhaust butts  into....i recently fitted a new one but i am struggling to get a seal has gases can been seen coming out on start up at the front....i assume this is not right?....is there a knack to get this to fit air tight?or can you for instance put gasket sealant there as well....any help appreciated thanks barry ct175.
10 Oct 2023 11:39 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gr8uncleal
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Ct3 exhaust string gasket

I'm struggling a wee bit with the same problem on my own CT1, Barry.

On the 250 and 360 bikes it is possible to fit the gasket between the inner and outer ring, but I have found this impossible on the 175.

Make sure that the two exhaust retaining springs are in good order. Also, whilst it is not obvious, the inner and outer ring actually come apart - one is a press fit into the other. I used a wooden mallet and wooden supports to separate and then clean mine. 

I started by bike this pm for the first time after fitting a brand new spring - an improvement, but still a little dribble, so I might apply some sealant.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Barrya
10 Oct 2023 12:13 #2

Replied by Tom P on topic Ct3 exhaust string gasket

I've made thin spaghetti-size strings of high temp orange RTV on parchment paper, and used them with excellent results. Let it cure overnight, then stuff it into the flange. It takes patience, but it really works. I just redid it when I repainted the exhaust again. This time I put one thin string in, then seated the exhaust to push it in, then removed the pipe and put another one in.

Here's some I have leftover, and in fact it's better to even be thinner than this.

imgur.com/a/FMNu9Mm
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, darinm, Schu, Ht1kid, Barrya
Last edit: 10 Oct 2023 12:43 by Tom P.
10 Oct 2023 12:28 #3

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart