facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Re-assembling mirror housing back on ball joint?

• Bdee
  • Bdee's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I have so far have successfully performed this task twice but both had unwanted side-effects. 

Attempt one used a C-clamp and bent the metal housing inwards.

The second one, I used a hammer directing blows on the arm to slam the ball joint into the housing aperture. I didn't have a rubber or wooden mallet so the steel hammer left some marks on the arm.

Will a rubber mallet get it done with out damage.  I've run out of test mirrors.

The reason I am asking is that I bought a set of mirrors from a later model yamaha (xt 500, I think) whose arms extend 3 inches past the end of my handle bar grips and thought I could swap the mirror housings onto a smaller set of arms.  

I was happy with the pair of emgo mirrors but they would deflect out of position going over 50mph.

Thanks for reading.

02 Oct 2023 09:29 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Maybe try a center punch on the outer ring around the ball to tighten it up !?!
5 to 6 punches around the perimeter of the ball without cracking the glass might be ok !?! .

Don't go too crazy .

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Bdee, Sneezles61
Last edit: 04 Oct 2023 23:15 by Rick C.. Reason: epoxy time ?
04 Oct 2023 23:11 #2

Replied by AirborneSilva on topic Re-assembling mirror housing back on ball joint?

I just had to do that for the crap mirrors I put on my DT400, I laid the mirror face down on a towel, on a flat surface, and used a rubber mallet and a quick shot of WD40, went right in. Now I need to buy some descent mirrors that don't move around from the vibration.
2023 Tenere T7
1976 DT400C
1975 DT400
1981 DT175H
1972 DT2 250
1980 GT80
1972 JT2
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Bdee
05 Oct 2023 15:47 #3

• Bdee
  • Bdee's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Cool, both answers help, thanks. I was starting to believe it was a stupid question.

The emgo mirrors have been destroyed from additional testing but next time round I will try the ring tightening.

I will try wd and a rubber mallet when I find a decent set of arms.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, DaveHunter
05 Oct 2023 16:28 #4

I have my original CT-1 mirrors, but the mirror glass is shot. I ordered these just to use temporarily, but decided I like them better than the originals. Unlike the originals, they can be removed quickly, leaving the mount on the handlebar. The mirrors can be positioned vertically, or horizontally, and they stay on place. I think they look nice on these old Enduros as well.

www.amazon.com/dp/B095BM644C/ref=sspa_dk...kZXRhaWxfdGhlbWF0aWM

Pic on my bike:

imgur.com/a/QtvvtU8

(I finally opened an Imgur account)
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Sneezles61
08 Oct 2023 10:01 #5

wrong link
my browser redirects to different item??!

Last edit: 10 Oct 2023 22:58 by automan.
09 Oct 2023 02:01 #6

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart