facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Seat Cover Fitting.

• Tinkicker
  • Tinkicker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Seat Cover Fitting. was created by Tinkicker

Seat cover fitting.  I have tried search, but it appears to be broken.

I told an apprentice today that the only stupid question was the one that remained unasked, so I am taking my own advice..

My new seat cover arrived, but I have never fitted a saw tooth type metal base one before.  All the previous covers I fitted were on plastic bases and stapled on.

Do you keep the teeth at the original angle and stretch the cover well past before impaling it on the tooth, or do you bend the tooth to 90 degrees, push the cover onto it and bend it back up to the original angle?
27 Sep 2023 08:39 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Seat Cover Fitting.

I would say the latter, although this is dependent on them not being too rusted.

Does yours have the protective strip that sits over the seat base? Also, did the original have a cord that sat in the seat cover and could be tightened?

I know my severe limitations and so always get my local upholsterer to fit mine for me.
27 Sep 2023 08:58 #2

Replied by MarkT on topic Seat Cover Fitting.

I don't know for certain how it should be done. Many, many years ago I followed this video as a guide and started with the spikes straight out and then bent them down.  It seemed to work good.  Fast forward to around 7:40. 

Many members are really good with seats so hopefully someone will come along and give proper advice. 

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Tinkicker
27 Sep 2023 09:07 #3

• Tinkicker
  • Tinkicker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Tinkicker on topic Seat Cover Fitting.

It has the protective bead, but no cord.  It is pretty much the same as my 175 cover apart from the steel pan.  The teeth are rust free.

27 Sep 2023 09:09 #4

Replied by Pete-RT1 on topic Seat Cover Fitting.

Tinkicker I've done both my CT1s and my AT1, plus my DT but that's a plastic base as you know.
This is my method and they were all pretty straightforward.
I bent all the barbs to 90 degrees, fitted the bead to the edge.
Fit the cover on then starting midway down the seat hook over the cover and pierce through a couple of the barbs on the left then do the same to the right bending the barbs flat as you go.
Flip it over and check it's positioned correct and carry on from the middle working towards front and back.
Hard to explain how much tension to pull on the cover, I didn't stretch mine over too tight and they are all fine.
The covers I had needed the excess trimmed off after fitting.
Good luck.  
Yamaha CT1-B
Yamaha CT1-C
Yamaha AT1-E
Yamaha AT1-C
Yamaha CT3
1978 Yamaha DT175MX
2020 Honda CB500X
27 Sep 2023 12:26 #5

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart