facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

China Mikuni carburetorts for AT/CT/DT

• jmendoza
  • jmendoza's Avatar Topic Author

China Mikuni carburetorts for AT/CT/DT was created by jmendoza

I Just purchased a Mikuni copy carburetor for my 1981 DT-175H. It came with a reed cage  rubber intake manifold, and a fuel filter, and had overflow and vent tubing ( clear rose tinted tubing). all this for only $30 free shipping.
The seller  listed it specs which said it had a 40 pilot and a 115 main jet.
It actually came with unmarked jets, and the main jet is not a Mikuni thread, but the pilot jet has Mikuni threads. I measured the jet orifices using drill blanks and was able to confirm the carb came with a 150 main and 22.5 pilot, which is the correct jetting for my DT-175H. The carb had a few minor issues however:
1. There is a little flange on the outside of the air intake side of the carb where the air filter boot goes on which makes getting the boot on a bit of a challenge.
2. The  fitting for the oil injection line did not have a big enough of a barb to hold on the oil line, so I had to wrap it with safety wire to get it to seal and stay on the fitting.
3. Although this carb has a drain screw on the bottom of the float bowl, which is handy, it does not have the large removable plug on the bottom of the float bowl for main jet changes. This is no big deal because unless you are racing, there is no need to change the main jet once the bike is properly tuned.

Despite my apprehension, the carb ran great, with no idle or acceleration problems and the engine had plenty of power throughout  the RPM range.
The return spring is longer,  so I used the original slide spring, and the cap off the original carb fit on so I used it.   A very good value and amazingly, even though the specs read  differently, this carb  had the correct jetting for my bike, as advertised.
Last edit: 02 Sep 2023 15:31 by jmendoza.
02 Sep 2023 15:23 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic China Mikuni carburetorts for AT/CT/DT

Very interesting & thanks for posting jetting details as well. I've used one on my older model 175 but altered the mainjet with a bit of thread trickery. Also used one on a honda 185, proper honda style carb & worked perfect with no alterations. So that's two of us--anyone else?. It might end up like an oil thread where some like & some don't. Could get interesting. Thanks again.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Sneezles61
02 Sep 2023 23:46 #2

Replied by MarkT on topic China Mikuni carburetorts for AT/CT/DT

There have been a few that got carbs that fit and worked...  and some that haven't.  It's a gamble as I always say.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
03 Sep 2023 07:10 #3

Replied by Yamfan on topic China Mikuni carburetorts for AT/CT/DT

Used to use OKO carbs, good quality, and very few problems. The OKO brand has been sold to the Chinese now though, and they now appear to be budget carbs. cheapest I have seen is $18 on Aliexpress, inc shipping to UK.

Nibbi brand Chinese carbs seem to be about the best, but they are more costly. Clones of things like Mikuni, sometimes work fine, sometimes not.

If you are lucky you will get a good one, if not it doesn't seem that difficult to get a refund from sites like Aliexpress.............probably less hassle than Ebay!

Shengwey Keihin clones, intended for various Honda's work well, the XR100 ones, work perfectly on TLR200's.

Here in UK the genuine small body VM Mikuni carbs, that are made in Thailand, have been unavailable for quite a while. They seem ideal for DTs, but cant get them here now.

PE26 Keihin tooling has worn out apparently, and they don't intend to replace it, so no more genuine ones around now.
03 Sep 2023 07:18 #4

Replied by asco on topic China Mikuni carburetorts for AT/CT/DT

You cannot really run a vintage motorcycle repair business with any success using anything but used oem parts. Especially mechanical..

asco
YAMA-LAND RESTORATION,
( 818 ) 521-2109
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
1971 CT1-C (BRANDY)
1970 DT1-C (MONICA)
1972 AT2M (ZIFFLE)
1970 CT1-B (HULK)
1971 DT1E (GINA)
1970 CT1-B (CLIDE)
03 Sep 2023 11:52 #5

Replied by yam-fan on topic China Mikuni carburetorts for AT/CT/DT

That apply to all bikes or just Japanese?
03 Sep 2023 12:57 #6

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart