facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Dad

• principal282
  • principal282's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Dad was created by principal282

Some of you know my dad was battling cancer.  He passed end of July.  He was 75.
End of June, he wanted me to take the little red 80 home.  He had bought it for me in 1978.  It was a fun little bike.
he’s mentioned this a lot the last year.  When he said it in June, I loaded it up .  You don’t argue with your dad, especially when he wants to do nice things and he really don’t feel so good.

I have been working on it since July 1. It was my hope he see it restored.  I know he sees now.  He did see pics.
during his last days here in earth, when he was too sick to visit or even talk, mom found a note.  He would get up in the night and write down meds, etc.  one day in June he had written the motorcycle.  Said I should take it home and make it run.  “I only paid 100 for it, but I think you had a lot of fun on it.”  He even wrote I can sure help with parts and expenses.  That was dad.    I smiled and thought I got this dad.  

My hope is it is 100% by late September and I bring it back to the farm for the littlest of the nieces and nephews to putter around on for a bit.

thanks for reading, for all of you who help me with advice, ideas, or leads on parts..it is appreciated!!

nick
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, RTD2, Ht1kid, Tom P
16 Aug 2023 19:45 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RTD2 on topic Dad

God bless your Dad. Good luck on the motorcycle.
68 DT1, 70 DT1C MX, 70 Husqvarna 250 Cross; 71 CT1C, 71 RT1B, 71 DT1E MX, 73 AT3MX, 73 MX360, 76 Honda Elsinore; 2021 KTM 500 EXC-W; 2001 Honda XR400R; 2007 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200
The following user(s) Liked this Post: principal282
16 Aug 2023 19:54 #2

Replied by Tom P on topic Dad

Rest in peace to your Dad, and I know he sees it now. Hang on to the good memories, and think about him as you work on it, and as your nieces and nephews ride it. That will make him happy.
16 Aug 2023 19:59 #3

• Ht1kid
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Ht1kid on topic Dad

Your Dad sounds like a wonderful Man God Bless him. Sounds like he raised a wonderful son too
16 Aug 2023 20:16 #4

Replied by MarkT on topic Dad

My deepest condolences.

I know your Dad is proud of how you're getting that little bike back into rideable shape.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
16 Aug 2023 20:27 #5

Replied by RT325 on topic Dad

Sorry to hear of your dads passing & i'm thinking of you at this difficult time.
I'm sure he knows you'll do a great job of the little bike.
17 Aug 2023 00:07 #6

Replied by rsmith56 on topic Dad

Lost my dad about a year ago at 85, to COPD. He was miserable living, missing Mom as well. She had Alzheimer’s and passed 18 months prior. Losses were tough, but they suffer no more. Take heart in the good memories. My sympathies are with you.
17 Aug 2023 17:45 #7

• Tinkicker
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Tinkicker on topic Dad

It is great to have a living monument to a great Dad's love of his family.
He obviously possessed great wisdom, for in advising that you take the little bike and restore it, you remain close to each other.
Every nut, bolt and cable has moments of a happy past stored within and as you work on it in his honour, those memories will surface and be reflected upon.
Eventually, those memories will stop being tinted with sorrow and will bring a wry smile recalling the happy and oft challenging times of a childhood past.

Your father in his profound wisdom gave you a wonderful tool to work through your grief and a living memorial to what sounds to be a wonderful father.  Far better than a cold slab of stone in a grassy field full of other such stones.

I know that as you straighten your aching back at the end of an evenings work on it and stand straight to view your progress, your father is stood to your left, arm across your back and hand on your right shoulder also looking on in pride at what you are achieving together.

​​​​​​
The following user(s) Liked this Post: nhsteve, Ht1kid, principal282
17 Aug 2023 23:24 #8

• principal282
  • principal282's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by principal282 on topic Dad

Thank you all so very much!!  
18 Aug 2023 05:18 #9

Replied by nhsteve on topic Dad

Condolences to you and family on loss of your father. It sounds like he loved you very much. Tinkicker said it very well, as you work on and view it being used and admired, you will see his reflection in it and good memories will come back.

I hope some day my own son will think of our times together when he works on and rides the bikes left to him.

Be well all!
18 Aug 2023 07:08 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart