facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Gas tank cleaning

• principal282
  • principal282's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Gas tank cleaning was created by principal282

I wish I would remember to take before pics but I never do

i just got the gt80 tank done. 
it went from a TFD to new on the inside, respectable on the outside.

process:
get out gas out
remove petcock. Clean
become sidetracked when our neighborhood kid came over to visit and chat.  Lose the spring and dial.
order new petcock (old one was crap anyway)

soak in vinegar.  Let sit.  Helps if you are gone for a few days so you don’t think about it.

dump out vinegar.  Wipe rust away with finger on center bar and become encouraged. 

rinse good.  Pressure wash with soap water.  Pressure wash a lot. Rinse with some near boiling water.

repeat several times.

bring out the ice. Ice in tank, about a pound. Slosh it around til your arms are tired.

more pressure wash, HOT rinse, hot soap water, hot clear.

came out PERFECT.  Nothing harsh used, no liners, zero.

I used a heat gun, compressed air, more heat.  Then gave it a good slosh of Yamalube, with some wd40 sprayed to hit the corners.

outside was just wax, elbow grease, and a tiny buffer attachment on my black and decker Rtx. 

side note we had to say goodbye to the black and decker today, she gave up after 20 plus years.  A new one is on the way.  

photos below

imgur.com/gallery/hlUPxab

also today got new tires on. Pinched one tube so I used the old one.  It’s coming together.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
Last edit: 13 Aug 2023 18:14 by principal282. Reason: Because my fingers are fat
13 Aug 2023 17:55 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by msavitt on topic Gas tank cleaning

That’s an impressive cleaning process, nice work!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: principal282
13 Aug 2023 19:48 #2

Replied by MarkT on topic Gas tank cleaning

Nice work!  One of the cleanest I've seen!

Good job on not using a liner...  sometimes you need to if there's a pinhole...  but if not done extremely carefully often the liner fails.  I've had the best luck with POR15.  And have seen quite a few with "Kreem" or other thick rubber-like coating where it started to peel and come apart.  What a mess. 
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid, principal282
14 Aug 2023 09:12 #3

• principal282
  • principal282's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by principal282 on topic Gas tank cleaning

I had great results with it on the dt3. I followed instructions to the letter. It also cured ALL WINTER waiting for the rebuilt carb and warmer days. No issues after 2 full years. I use ONLY no ethanol fuel
14 Aug 2023 17:47 #4

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart