facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

1970 HT1 No spark

• BreadButterer
  • BreadButterer's Avatar Topic Author

1970 HT1 No spark was created by BreadButterer

I picked up a ‘70 HT1 on the cheap. It had been sitting since 1980, getting it home I cleaned it out and I found out that there is zero spark. I pulled off the side cover hiding the magneto, this showed that for whatever reason the lighting coil had been ripped out with only the source remaining. I bought new points and a condenser because why not. While the new points were on the bench, I cleaned them seeing as they might have some oil as some new points do. Putting them in and guessing the gap, still no spark. I tested the resistance of the ignition coil finding that it was dead with 15k ohms across the secondary with 25.4 ohms across the primary. New (to me) coil goes in, no spark, checking the resistance of the new coil it was in spec. What I found weird was that when the points were closed it had no resistance, but when they were open it was at 126.5 ohms, reading a couple of the forums here it seemed like it was supposed to be about 2-3 ohms. What would cause this? Also, what should the resistance across the source coil be? Thanks for reading. 
02 Jul 2023 16:46 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic 1970 HT1 No spark

Seems like the dots are too far over--like possibly wrong scale used on the meter.
All 'might' be ok, not sure.
On the mag black wire you should see a fractional variaton between 'just open' & 'just closed'.
That way you at least know they're making [or mating] & breaking.
Wire to the points connected correctly & not 'under' the washer which would earth it.
Love HT1's & had a lot of fun on mine. Even roadraced it haha of which there's a video link up here somewhere.
Look forward to seeing yours.
photos.app.goo.gl/G4wj9JZW6NPv5FLY7

Last edit: 02 Jul 2023 17:12 by RT325.
02 Jul 2023 17:04 #2

Replied by RT325 on topic 1970 HT1 No spark

Forgot Welcome from NZ, & enjoy your time here.
02 Jul 2023 17:14 #3

• BreadButterer
  • BreadButterer's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by BreadButterer on topic 1970 HT1 No spark

Thank you, I’ll look further into the points and just dig further until I find the bug. Thank you for the welcome as well.
02 Jul 2023 20:45 #4

Replied by Ht1kid on topic 1970 HT1 No spark

Greetings from Tennessee. 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

let’s get another HT1 on the road 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, BreadButterer
02 Jul 2023 21:28 #5

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart