facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Petcock and oil tank filters.

• Gr8uncleal
  • Gr8uncleal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Petcock and oil tank filters. was created by Gr8uncleal

I don't want to hijack the existing DT125B thread, so thought I'd start a new one.

Original petrol taps (petcocks) didn't have a filter on the taller "main tank" pipe and reserve was just a brass (?) filter. Nowadays, a lot of these filters have rotted away. I have bought sections of brass filter gauge off fleabay, cut these to length and soldered in place, to create a filter on both the main tank and reserve.

Two stroke oil tanks with a banjo bolt fitment originally had a filter in the bolt itself but, like the filter for reserve on the petrol cap, these can rot away. I am currently having a new filter fitted to my own banjo bolt. Later tanks, with a push fit for the oil line, had the filter inside the tank. I guess these could be replaced by removing the sight glass and gaining access that way, but I'm not sure - some folks have fitted inline oil filters.
29 Jun 2023 00:46 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic Petcock and oil tank filters.

It wasn't until a year or two back that someone mentioned oil tank filters. & i had to admit i never knew they had one. Me probably thinking oil--thicker than petrol--would struggle to gravity feed through it. Hate to say i've still not seen one. Should check my AT1 before its too late although pump's still feeding--I hope!!. Only been 50 years--Umm.
Back in about "75 on farm bike 100's [AG100's] that came with a big fuel tank & a "big oil tank" which i guess took for ever to need topping up--we had trouble with some that were using outboard oil in the oil tank & it went a bit like jelly. was horrible dark blue oil i guess for premixing. Not sure why i'm thinking this but seem to recall it smelling a bit like ammonia. Maybe i'm thinking of Janola bleach stuff smell.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Crazy Horse 124
29 Jun 2023 04:41 #2

• Gr8uncleal
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Petcock and oil tank filters.

I guess that they might only rot if they've been used, but then stored without any oil/petrol in for years. If your AT tank has had oil in it for most of its life, then probably no issue.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325
29 Jun 2023 05:08 #3

• Gr8uncleal
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Petcock and oil tank filters.

My repaired bolt.

Photos now working, thanks Mako! 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Crazy Horse 124
Last edit: 05 Jul 2023 02:59 by Gr8uncleal.
05 Jul 2023 02:58 #4

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by Billy Mild on topic Petcock and oil tank filters.

I don't have a filter on my AT1 nor my RZ350. Both haven't had an issue. I do run a external fuel filter.
05 Jul 2023 11:32 #5

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart