facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Interesting 68 DT1 250 on B.A.T.

Replied by msavitt on topic Interesting 68 DT1 250 on B.A.T.

so a 1968 DT1 is the Holy Grail of Yamaha enduros?!

love to find one totally complete and drive everyone nuts!
22 Mar 2023 10:13 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT1 on topic Interesting 68 DT1 250 on B.A.T.

Pete-RT1 post=160333
"Looks like the wheel spokes have been spray painted along with the hubs in-situ.
Doesn't fill me with confidence towards the quality of the restoration.
They are lovely though."

I have a couple of thoughts regarding the bike being called/considered a restoration. I really believe that the term "restoration" has become greatly watered down… along with other polite and “complimentary” descriptive terms such as "concours", “museum quality” , and  "showroom condition”.  This bike is nothing more than a decent condition, nice old vintage rider.  whether preserved through the years or in one fell swoop it's a collection of replacement Yamaha Enduro parts that were known to fit as well as some aftermarket parts and were used in an attempt to keeping/making the bike complete and running. In that sense, it’s at least mostly all Yamaha. It was saved  from abandonment and decay.   And that is a definite positive.  But the word restoration ( IMO) shouldn’t be used in any manner regarding the description of this bike.  The common observer will see - and be impressed by - a decent looking 50+yr old motorcycle while also being unaware of the flaws.  And at/in auctions, there are usually many folks that are unaware of what's being presented.  But, the one thing they do know is that they want it…. and then up goes the price.  It’s a nice rider and a great foundation for a future restoration.

And as Pete said - the '68's "are lovely"

FOOTNOTE:  BaT hasn't referred to the bike as a Restoration
'68 DT1, '71 RT1, '71 JT1 (x2), '72 AT2 (x2), '74 DT250A, '75 XS650, '54 BSA C11G, '70 Honda CT70, '73 Hodaka Combat Wombat, '05 Moto-Guzzi Breva, '15 Triumph Tiger, +++

"We are mere custodians of mechanical things. Our job it to care for them, improve them and pass them on to others.” - Peter Egan
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Enduronut, HouseofEnduro, nhsteve, Ht1kid, Pete-RT1
Last edit: 22 Mar 2023 12:55 by RT1.
22 Mar 2023 11:50 #12

Replied by LETSJET on topic Interesting 68 DT1 250 on B.A.T.

Having done one 1968 DT-1 restoration, while it was fun, I don't think I would sign up for another one. I have "my" DT-1 the way I wanted it, sweet. 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: 1971DT250, SKYDANCER46, RT1, Ht1kid, Sneezles61
22 Mar 2023 13:09 #13

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by Ht1kid on topic Interesting 68 DT1 250 on B.A.T.

+ 1 RT1 being a past National Head Judge the term Restoration is wildly misleading and exaggerated but in the eye of the beholder it may be a restoration to them. People need to do their homework unless they have to have it NOW. I have enough stories on people being taken to the cleaners with bogus cars
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Enduronut, SKYDANCER46, Pedalcrazy
22 Mar 2023 15:17 #14

• SKYDANCER46
  • SKYDANCER46's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by SKYDANCER46 on topic Interesting 68 DT1 250 on B.A.T.

MISAVITT quote:
so a 1968 DT1 is the Holy Grail of Yamaha enduros?!

love to find one totally complete and drive everyone nuts!

Go check out the 68 i am rebuilding on my "1970 DT1 250 gromment color thread". It may be for sale later this year. Won't be cheap though. 

1970 DT250C
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid
22 Mar 2023 16:21 #15

Replied by Swoop56 on topic Interesting 68 DT1 250 on B.A.T.

Off on a Tangent here . Morleys rego papers for his 68 DT 1 are interesting , in that the engine and chassis
numbers are well past where the VIN register for US market 68's finished .
I seem to recall Morley saying some time ago that it had been a 68 left unsold , after 69 model appeared .
22 Mar 2023 16:28 #16

Replied by RT325 on topic Interesting 68 DT1 250 on B.A.T.

Swoop. I see the pic of mine has 4th month "71 so might have got mine in "70 or late "69, was after my bosses one. But he went to Perth in Oz to promote international MX & pic i'll now load show him on a DT1 loaned by a dealer there & says 10/11/68, so works out as telegrammed work [remember telegrams haha] saying get me one by the time i get home. The Perth one was Gold too i believe. Confused--hell i am lol. Chassis Numbers & date "68 on the ownership papers relate to Tims gold one.
Reading the fine print on my pic on previous page it say i'm in an uncomfortable pose!!, felt quite comfy to me haha.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Swoop56, Sneezles61
Last edit: 22 Mar 2023 23:29 by RT325.
22 Mar 2023 23:22 #17

Replied by nhsteve on topic Interesting 68 DT1 250 on B.A.T.

First: THANK YOU! for posting the BAT link. I don't normally go there (whyyy....?)

Second: I too am rebuilding a '68 DT1. It had been cannibalized well before I got it. So many of the 'bits' I have needed to obtain are, of necessity, either "NOS" or well used. I have learned to be selective, and have spent far more $$$ on parts than strictly necessary in order to try and get the bike "correct", or as "correct" as I can. They are only original once, as we all know.

Third: I have tried very hard to do as much of the refinishing myself, and use 'professionals' when I cannot do what they do (i.e.- weld up seal area on the left crankshaft half to preclude leakage there, and then rebuild the crank). I utilized sources near and dear to members here when I could (DEET, Enduronut). All the flaws you will see on my bike are mine and mine alone.

Fourth: I saw some things on the BAT bike that may not have been strictly "original" but that really made good sense. Here I am thinking of the oil feed to the cylinder base, which is obviously a flexible line. Mine had the very hard, and by now very brittle solid one-piece line between the pump and cylinder. Already kinked, I was concerned it would break either during installation or after, where I would not see until it was too late. His 'mod' there makes good sense.

Finally, I appreciate his posting up all the photos, and all the help and comments I have received from members here.

This image is hidden for guests.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: SKYDANCER46
23 Mar 2023 07:51 #18

Replied by RT325 on topic Interesting 68 DT1 250 on B.A.T.

BAT on $7000 & ends in two days. Shall we take bets on what it gets too.
23 Mar 2023 13:26 #19

Replied by Ht1kid on topic Interesting 68 DT1 250 on B.A.T.

.                                     I have watched BAT for years check this out Crazy dang  I need to get some of that money Lol 
23 Mar 2023 14:40 #20

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart