facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Illumination and Headlamp lighting

• adguy2112
  • adguy2112's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Illumination and Headlamp lighting was created by adguy2112

Anyone have a good source for illumination and/or pilot light connections for a CT1 or comparable? They do seem to have some limited availability but holy moly are they spendy. $35 for the rubber grommet to close off the headlamp top hole??. Maybe there is an aftermarket source. Also looking for good source for a headlight. I can't tell on many of these websites if they're sealed or separate bulb type. One Forum string shows the 4020 wagner without the adjusters and Octane lighting has some nice options for LED/Halo but almost too many and I'm uncertain if they have the low and high beam incorporated.  I've done a forum search and found a few bits and pieces but nothing that is 100%. Appreciate any tried and true info.
12 Oct 2021 17:14 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by loner on topic Illumination and Headlamp lighting

NAPA Auto parts sells the sealed beam, 6 volt 30 watt. i bought one for my '74 360. $10.31 tax included.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
12 Oct 2021 20:05 #2

Replied by loner on topic Illumination and Headlamp lighting

A great source for rubber grommets and plugs is Lowe's Home Improvement Center.(Less expensive too!)
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
12 Oct 2021 20:07 #3

Replied by MarkT on topic Illumination and Headlamp lighting

On the headlight, NOTHING is going to have the factory adjusters unless you find a NOS bulb.  Probably will pay a fortune for it.

Other than that, super simple, discussed dozens of times.  By retaining clips from Yamaha or MikesXS or ebay.  Get a 6v sealed beam like the one from NAPA (or ebay).  Or get a common as heck 5 3/4" H4 headlight reflector and a 6v H4 bulb of the correct wattage. Don't forget a regulator.  Done.

LED's?  Some may work on AC, most will blow quickly.  I'd stay with incandescent unless you want to redesign and re-wire the original system. 

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Snglsmkr, nhsteve
12 Oct 2021 20:24 #4

• Sneezles61
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Sneezles61 on topic Illumination and Headlamp lighting

I was able to extract the bulb out of my sealed beam carcass. I had to ream out the opening to accept a new H4 bulb... Glued it back in with silicone... You can't tell that I did that... Now, should the bulb fail, I can replace stuff..
Sneezles61
The following user(s) Liked this Post: nhsteve
13 Oct 2021 06:42 #5

Replied by MarkT on topic Illumination and Headlamp lighting

The problem with gluing in a new bulb to a sealed beam is that the filament(s) have to be precisely located in the reflector to focus and project the light properly.

Trivia...  did you ever notice that Yamaha headlights for these old bikes are rated at the same wattage (power) for high and low beam?  The "beam shift" is not due to more power/brighter bulb, it's due to the filament being located at a different focal point in the reflector.. 

I've seen a few stock reflectors with new bulbs glued in and while they have usually been bright, all of them have had an unfocused light pattern that makes the actual light on the road pretty useless to ride at night by. 

That said, someone here claimed to find an old bulb from a replaceable bulb headlight that had filaments located close enough to stock that the beam pattern was usable.  It certainly isn't impossible to get the filaments in the right place, but the only ones I've ever seen were only good for daytime riding.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Snglsmkr, HouseofEnduro, Ht1kid
13 Oct 2021 07:24 #6

• Sneezles61
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Sneezles61 on topic Illumination and Headlamp lighting

Very true Mark T...
  The bulb I glued in is split in half... Before "slapping" them together.. I could see there was a metal divider... So I put mine together with the divider horizontal... Low beam focuses from the horizon on down... and high beam from the horizon on up... 50/50 chance to get it right with the selector switch... right? And take the pattern of the glass case it goes into, in to consideration... 
My switch is off... damn.. Only reason I need to have a light is for, lights ARE required in MN all the time on a street legal motorcycle.. I don't ride at night any more... Too many deer...  It works for my purpose... 
Sneezles61
13 Oct 2021 08:28 #7

• adguy2112
  • adguy2112's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by adguy2112 on topic Illumination and Headlamp lighting

Great stuff everyone! Thanks for all the tips. I think I'll save the old sealed beam to try the process sneezles suggested for one of my other bikes but will be happy following tried and true with a basic sealed bulb or H4 and reflector once I locate the correct wattage necessary. I have a regulator installed already so I won't blow bulbs any longer. I also found one speedo illumination wires to bulb setup on ebay for less than $20. Now just need one more plus the neutral loom and bulb. Great tip on the plugs and grommets at lowes. 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Sneezles61
13 Oct 2021 08:49 #8

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart