facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

CT 3 Missing gears ?

• jez
  • jez's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

CT 3 Missing gears ? was created by jez

Hi fellas,my first trip out on my rebuilt ct3 resulted in this. It was going really well and then I had no 3rd gear.has anyone got a suggestion as to what caused this. 
26 Sep 2021 08:38 #1

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by MarkT on topic CT 3 Missing gears ?

It might help if you describe exactly what happened...  broke when shifting?  Just cruising?  What gear were you in when it happened?

First thing that I thought of was shift drum retainer was missing or end of shaft broken off under plastic cover just forward and above sprocket.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325, JayB
26 Sep 2021 08:53 #2

Replied by RT325 on topic CT 3 Missing gears ?

Good point MarkT. I've never seen 'exactly that' before. How's the cases.
27 Sep 2021 02:45 #3

Replied by JayB on topic CT 3 Missing gears ?

If someone was a trained metallurgist, they might be able to identify if it was a latent defect, impact, fatigue or other failure.  If you look at the failure points you might be able to tell where the crack started.  The metal might look exposed longer at that point if it was a crack that was exposed for some time before the catastrophic failure.  Both failure areas look like the weakest points of the gear; between teeth and where the reliefs are for the dogs to engage.

My guess is that the gear had some internal defect.  I have never seen a gear failure like that.  More often broken dogs or chipped/missing teeth.

Showing a good picture face on view of the newly exposed metal might allow better diagnosis.
27 Sep 2021 03:20 #4

• jez
  • jez's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by jez on topic CT 3 Missing gears ?

Hi Fellas, the series of events was that i was out riding this bike for the first time since rebuild and she was running well. running in so nice and slow ,about five minutes in i was shifting from 2 to 3 and couldnt find 3 .so limped back home and engine out and stripped again .i found a small amount of metal in the sump and the gear in 2 pieces as shown. I have to say Mark T has hit the nail on the head, i had forgotten to fit the shift drum retainer under the plastic cover so the drum has not been held in position properly. a costly error and frustrating but a valuable lesson learned. thanks everyone for your help . this site is so useful . best wishes to all . im off to the shed again to put her back together .....
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Rick C., MarkT, JayB, Gr8uncleal, Ht1kid, Pedalcrazy, Sneezles61
28 Sep 2021 08:33 #5

Top marks to--Mark!! Double check everything that meshes, dogs, teeth etc. I've mentioned lots over the years about the end of the drum being smacked off by a thrown chain & the internal damage that can occur. But--never quite seen it damaged like that. Frame that photo, we'll probably never see another one.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
28 Sep 2021 15:03 #6

just having one more look at the pic. Man imagine the pressure to do that but i guess its the weakest point through there
28 Sep 2021 15:06 #7

Check shafts for straight too.
28 Sep 2021 20:16 #8

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart