facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Frozen Clutch or Barrel?

• TheRiggs
  • TheRiggs's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Frozen Clutch or Barrel? was created by TheRiggs

When I bought this two weeks ago it fired up on the first kick and I was able to ride it all over the place. This past weekend I tried to start it and it wouldn’t start and it also wouldn’t go on the gear it’s just rolling around in neutral not sure if there is a fault issue or a frozen clutch disk any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Gas is flowing. I can see it spraying in the carb when kicking it.   
The shifting fault might be it, but the motor still spins when holding the clutch in. plug is sparking
I'm getting 55lbs-ish compression 

What is a Barrel?

See video below

Last edit: 06 Apr 2021 18:32 by TheRiggs.
06 Apr 2021 18:31 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic Frozen Clutch or Barrel?

I see you have two post going now. If someone mentioned barrel they would have meant cylinder & without knowing what was written i'm guessing they're thinking piston seized or something along those lines. Anyway, it turns over on the video & sounds like it has all the ingredients to run. So now wondering if the crank key in the magneto flywheel has 'let go'. Only way to be sure is to pull the flywheel & check--well that's one way but probably best for you. Otherwise if you can verify its sparking just before top but need a few tricks to do that. If crank key was broken it puts the timing 'anywhere it wants to go' except the right place. Or--looking at the flywheel i& finding top dead center & then put a felt pen mark on flywheel & onto the case at 12 oclock straight up & down at the top, then go back to between i & 2 oclock & points should be 'just' starting to crack open at that point. Could put the mark anywhere convenient at tdc but then turn flywheel back to about the distance i described before the mark. Only saying that as you may not have a mag puller for the flywheel.

Ok ignore all that but i'll leave it there anyway. Should spark just before top!!

Gearchange i wonder if clutch nut has come off. Does the clutch lever feel normal for operation. While Not touching the clutch on the handlebar, you should be able to hold the handlebar with left hand & move the gear lever by right hand while moving the bike back & forth & when in gear--any gear-- moving the bike along should turn the motor over & over. I had 2 JT1s in the late "70's for the kids & have a very rough one now but son 'now 50' or 51 lol took it for 'his son'. Life gone full circle.
06 Apr 2021 19:10 #2

• TheRiggs
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by TheRiggs on topic Frozen Clutch or Barrel?

Thanks William for the very detailed explanation. I threw this post up to get more conversation and be more specific about the issues this bike is having.  
The clutch lever feels normal. I did what you said as far as rocking the bike holding clutch in and shifting with my right hand. nothing. 

Here is the convo. I had on FB, a gentleman suspected the arm is not grabbing the barrel.

Last edit: 07 Apr 2021 13:28 by TheRiggs.
07 Apr 2021 05:38 #3

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• TheRiggs
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

I got updates! What's going on here?

Last edit: 07 Apr 2021 19:32 by TheRiggs.
07 Apr 2021 16:37 #4

Replied by msavitt on topic Frozen Clutch or Barrel?

with the clutch remvoed, can you rotate the flywheel by hand?  
if yes, does it feel like it has compression in comparison to rotating with spark plug out?
the shift mechanism is really cool, the ratchet gizmo that rides on the pins in cam drum needs to be adjusted per manual to basically center the ratchet.  Rachet on my 360 was worn, meanng the tips that ride the pins were really rounded/hooked so I replaced and then adjusted per manual.

how many cc's is that bike?  I have '68 honda ct90 with a fresh top end that can barely get me up to 40!
Last edit: 08 Apr 2021 07:31 by msavitt.
08 Apr 2021 07:30 #5

Replied by Westfalia on topic Frozen Clutch or Barrel?

Your issue is definitely the Crocs  ;-P
08 Apr 2021 12:57 #6

Replied by RT325 on topic Frozen Clutch or Barrel?

With 'any' transmission like yours you will need to twiddle the shaft to get the gears to go through. You might get lucky & have two click through but not the next until revolve either clutch shaft or sprocket shaft. Quite normal in that respect as engaging dogs need to find their slot in opposing gears & as often as not they don't line up. Might add that you will only need to move a shaft a fraction of a turn for the dogs to find their place.
Last edit: 08 Apr 2021 16:04 by RT325.
08 Apr 2021 16:02 #7

• Schu
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Schu on topic Frozen Clutch or Barrel?

You might want to put your shift lever back on while troubleshooting because the vice-grip is going to mess up the splines on your shaft.
Schu

CT1B, CT1C, JT1, JT2, DT360A, GT80B, DT100B, DT125B,
DT175B, DT175C, DT250B, DT400B, Z50, SCR950

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas
08 Apr 2021 18:38 #8

• TheRiggs
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Msavitt yes I can rotate the fly wheel by hand and there is compression with the spark plug out. It's a JT1 60cc or 58cc depending who you talk too. I need to read up on the cam drum and adjusting it. The rounding might be the issue. Thanks for the help!

Westfalia - they are motocrocs! :) haha

Good thoughts RT325 and always appreciated. I'm concerned it will get frozen again and I will have to split it again and again. Strange how in the first video I had to force that drum to rotate. Never done this before and I'm loving every second of it! On another note, once I get my flywheel removal tool I will be able to tell if it's "keyed out" and get a new woodruff key in there. So I then I'll fire her back up.

Schu your right! I got excited when I got it split and grabbed the vice grips a fast I could to start wiggling and jiggling things to see what's going on. To be fair the spline was trashed already. Might replace the whole thing. Not sure, my wife is about to kill me on my small project that will cost "little to no money" 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 09 Apr 2021 06:12 by TheRiggs.
08 Apr 2021 19:30 #9

• TheRiggs
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

here's it running Friday of Easter weekend. On Sunday it wouldnt start at all. And then the clutch started with its problems. 

Last edit: 09 Apr 2021 06:10 by TheRiggs.
08 Apr 2021 19:41 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart