facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Best Rings I can buy - For Better or Worse

• LuckyLuke
  • LuckyLuke's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter
Hello 

I am looking to restore a 72 Yamaha 175 CT2.  I have the engine apart and inspected the piston and rings.   I believe the rings need to be replaced because the end gap measurement is greater than .33mm.  I don't know which rings are the correct ones to buy.   I believe the current rings are keystone type although I am not sure.  You can see from the photos that there is the letter "N" on the both the top and bottom rings.  The piston has "68" on it beside the forward arrow on the top of it.  In addition, there is '9 67' on the opposite side of the piston.   When I use a caliper to measure the piston it looks to be 66mm diameter.  I don't have the tools to measure exact.  Also, the cylinder walls seem to be in good shape.

Any help out there to help me find the proper rings to replace old ones?  Any other advice would also be appreciated...    

Thanks...
05 Mar 2021 07:04 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Your piston part number is 314-11631-00-96 (standard, stock, original bore size)
The rings for that piston is 314-11610-00-00
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Where the Yamaha Enduro is still a current model...
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RTD2
05 Mar 2021 07:18 #2

• LuckyLuke
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by LuckyLuke on topic Best Rings I can buy - For Better or Worse

Thanks very much for that!
05 Mar 2021 07:33 #3

Replied by MarkT on topic Best Rings I can buy - For Better or Worse

How much bigger is the gap?  In my experience, original rings in a new bore are usually very near the max gap spec.  

So don't be surprised if new rings in your used bore still exceed max gap spec by a little.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
Last edit: 05 Mar 2021 08:49 by MarkT.
05 Mar 2021 08:48 #4

• LuckyLuke
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

The gap was more than .45mm.   I picked up a new NOS set for $30 today otherwise I might have tried to work with the old ones.  The top one was a bit rusted in place and I just thought a new set might be the right way to go.   The new set has a green coloured one and I am assuming that one goes on the bottom?  The expansion springs if I am correct has a single and double bend with the double bend for the bottom ring.  I have a buddy who is going to deglaze the cyclinder for me and double check the shape with a micrometer....hope that will all work. 

The cyclinder wall on the old bore has a bit of rust and I hope a honing will clean it up.   However, just thinking out loud here....if it doesnt clean up well with a honing is it possible to rebore a bit and I'll still be able to work with the old standard piston and the new rings?

Any other thoughts to help with this is much appreciated.  

05 Mar 2021 14:06 #5

Replied by Swoop56 on topic Best Rings I can buy - For Better or Worse

It might have been wiser to wait and do your measurements before purchasing the rings .
If your measurements reveal you need a rebore , then you'll also
need a slightly bigger piston ( first oversize hopefully ) and matching rings .
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
05 Mar 2021 16:18 #6

Replied by darinm on topic Best Rings I can buy - For Better or Worse

Ouch rust often equals pitting which would mean a first over bore, new piston and rings for that but not terribly expensive. It's amazing how damn near everything on these bikes is cheap compared to even a relatively simple part on a modern car.
1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
2000 Suzuki RM100
2003 BMW F650GS
2009 Yamaha WR250R
2013 Yamaha XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
05 Mar 2021 17:59 #7

• LuckyLuke
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

I guess I might not be fine with this yet. Darn!  Any advice on how I can determine if the pitting warrants a new bore?   Will I need to have a machine shop inspect or can I diagnose myself?  
05 Mar 2021 20:57 #8

Replied by Swoop56 on topic Best Rings I can buy - For Better or Worse

Probably best to leave it to a machine shop to check out .
We are dealing with very small incremental differences between
good and bad  .
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Andy L
05 Mar 2021 21:32 #9

Replied by Andy L on topic Best Rings I can buy - For Better or Worse

Having measured all the critical values and compared against the service manual tolerances I determined my DT250B barrel needed a rebore. I rang my local machine shop to discuss the job and they said no problems BUT along with the barrel you must also bring the new piston, new rings AND all available tolerance data from the service manual too.  You see therefore they are taking a 'known' reference point (the new piston) and actually maching your barrel to 'fit' your piston and rings set such that all tolerances are satisfied too.
As for those standard Yam NOS rings you bought don't be too tough on yourself for buying 'em, you could always sell them on (or even keep 'em for the next project..

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

).  On the positive side look at the experience/knowledge you've gained for just a few bucks, so you see your still "Lucky Luke"

Just sayin...'the glass is always half full'
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Mothersbaugh
06 Mar 2021 00:36 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart