facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Stud Size

• Fewmarshall
  • Fewmarshall's Avatar Topic Author

Stud Size was created by Fewmarshall

I appologize in advance for the dumb question, but I am looking for the bolt size for the studs that mount the cylinder and cylinder head on a 1975 GT80.

I measured with my set of calipers and I get an unreliable reading that I can't match to anything online, might have to get new ones. I have M5 and M6 helicoil kits, I know it is not M5, because testfitting the coil it is much too small, but I am nervous to start with the M6 because it feels sort of loose? Are these studs an Imperial size?

I want to be perfectly sure this is the right size before I start since I will have to drill out for the helicoil.
12 Mar 2020 09:56 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Stud Size

Assuming that the thread size is the same at both ends, then M6. I've just been to measure the size on my UK AS3 - pretty sure they share the same part.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Fewmarshall
12 Mar 2020 10:19 #2

Replied by RT325 on topic Stud Size

Just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons i think it might be 7mm because yamaha did some strange things like that. Can see their thinking that 6mm is too small for long studs holding cylinder & head on in one go,
Gr8uncleal i recon AS3 would be 7mm as well but happy to be wrong on all scores. Cheers.
12 Mar 2020 23:29 #3

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=makotosu-08bc-47da-8e7d-68e3ee6e51ca&siteid=0&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=183143347940&version=889&trackingid=&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

You could be right RT, and your observation is partly why I caveated my reply.

CMSNL in Holland stock the item (and I suspect that it is still available from Yamaha as well) and therefore have a photo of it. This is attached and it did occur to me that one end might have an ever so slightly wider diameter than the other. What do others reckon?

I'll ask my dealers who did Yamahas back then if they can remember.

13 Mar 2020 01:44 #5

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

No, both ends will be the same size thread [7mm if i'm right--but could be wrong] except the end that goes into the case will be threaded so its fractionally tighter into the case as it doesn't need to come out again. Also the top end will be [whats the word] radius'd & the bottom end will be straight cut. Also the bottom thread will be a bit shorter. They must roll the thread rather than die cut it as the stud is fractionally smaller than the thread on all those sort of studs .
13 Mar 2020 05:24 #6

Replied by MarkT on topic Stud Size

Going by the part number... my guess is 6mm... can you take a stud down to the store and see what nut threads on? That's what I'd do.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
13 Mar 2020 06:11 #7

Ok, i give in & think MarkT & Gr8uncleal are probably correct. Found this by googling so copy & pasted below.

Default How to find Yamaha bolt sizes...
Every now and then someone asks what size a particular bolt is. Just thought it would be helpful to post this from another site. FYI, you can get the part# from most Yamaha dealer websites or here.

"How to get sizes of bolts from the part numbers...
The Yamaha microfiche shows the bolt size, you just have to know how to read it. Here is how it works...

The part number is broken down into 3 parts 99999-06012-00 is an example. The second part, which is 06012 tells you the size. That bolt is 6mm in diameter and 12mm in length. If the second part was 08024 the bolt would be 8mm in diameter and 24mm in length. The first part of the part number tell what type of part it is such as bolt, screw, washer etc. and last 2 digits generally determines the finish such as black, cad, etc"
Last edit: 13 Mar 2020 15:19 by RT325.
13 Mar 2020 15:16 #8

Replied by DEET on topic Stud Size

Just an FYI.... in case anyone might think that all of the studs used on Yamahas were the same thread size on both ends.....here is one that I remember fighting on the exhaust flange....

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Where the Yamaha Enduro is still a current model...
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Gr8uncleal
13 Mar 2020 15:57 #9

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Thanks DEET.

I recall reading about this part, either here or on the UK based aircooledrd forum. At least the one that you show is obviously different (M6 and M8 if I recall correctly)!
Last edit: 14 Mar 2020 01:01 by Gr8uncleal.
14 Mar 2020 00:57 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart