facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

De-greasers and cleaners

• jet100
  • jet100's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

De-greasers and cleaners was created by jet100

I'm in the middle of restoring a 1969 Yamaha R3 350 and have just split the cases. All good inside but looking for a good de-greaser/cleaner for the crank and cases etc. Has anyone used these concentrated de-greasers that can be diluted with water? Specifically using it on the crankshaft. These products seem to recommend cleaning and rinsing of with water after. Not a good mix for bearings. Normally I would use Varsol which is readily available in Canada but being a snowbird, I am in California right now and can't find Varsol anywhere. Any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks to all.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: FrankC
24 Nov 2019 10:18 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by FrankC on topic De-greasers and cleaners

In a pinch I use lanolin hand cleaner with a stiff brush, gets really nasty deposits off, but like you said you must rinse with warm soap and water. Engine Gunk also works well but requires rinsing. Both are cheap to use.
24 Nov 2019 11:15 #2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart