facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

• Amhirshfeld
  • Amhirshfeld's Avatar Topic Author

Newbie was created by Amhirshfeld

My name is Ashley but go by Ash. 

I’m new to the bike world and have a 1972 Yamaha LT2 100. It was my dads at the ranch and since he’s passed I’ve had it in my garage with a some serious issues and it looks like it will be a bit before she’s up and running. Hoping this community could help me or point me in the right direction!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: 1971DT250, Gr8uncleal, Schu, Ht1kid, msavitt, 315scott
07 May 2023 17:57 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic Newbie

Welcome from NZ downunder. Hope not too many issues for you. Drain some fresh fuel through the carburettor & out through the side bung/mainjet fitting & she'll be "running by lunchtime". If not then we'll start again. I grew up assembling these new "72 at work. Sold lots of them. Back to the future--should still make them--or if you looked in India or somewhere they may well do still make them. Lots of good help on this site & some with LT2's. Cheers.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Amhirshfeld
07 May 2023 18:21 #2

Replied by Ht1kid on topic Newbie

Greetings from Tennessee.  

This image is hidden for guests.

07 May 2023 19:19 #3

Replied by MarkT on topic Newbie

Welcome! Lots of help here.

My very first "real" motorcycle was an LT2.

P.S... yours could be an LT3 (1973 model) by the tank color. (LT3 VIN will still start with "LT2", you have to look at whole number) Not a big deal, a few parts might be a little different like air filter.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
07 May 2023 21:38 #4

• Gr8uncleal
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Newbie

from near Salisbury, UK.

Clean up the faces of the points - ask here or check in service manual if unsure how.

Change out front and rear brake shoes before riding.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid, Amhirshfeld
07 May 2023 23:43 #5

• Amhirshfeld

Replied by Amhirshfeld on topic Newbie

Thanks for all the tips and pointers!
Definitely found an oil leak last night and clean it up. Sat for the night and by morning I had a slow leak again.
The screw to get into it are stripped which means I’ve got to order replacements before I break it open. I clean up the air filter and she is also missing her battery so that’s in the works to re-place as well!
Last edit: 08 May 2023 18:58 by Amhirshfeld.
08 May 2023 18:55 #6

This message has an attachment image.

Replied by RT325 on topic Newbie

If ya talking oil coming from the cover at the top of the red mark thats the oil pump cover. May not even be worth worrying about but probably has a bit of oil in 'that' cover even though there shouldn't be.
Give it a wash out in there & any minor leak from sitting is likely safe at this point. When you get that cover off lean it to the right first or you'll have a mess flowing down under. [if i'm looking at the right cover [3 screw cover].
Need a good new No3 tip screw driver. Or an impact driver which i'm not keen on for tightening but 'do work' for loosening. Leave that cover off after washing it out & see what developes so far as leaking goes.
Must have oil in the oil tank [if its leaking at the pump] but be sure its above the sight glass--ie not empty anyway.
If your reffering to the main big clutch cover then--put my glasses on & start again lol.
Last edit: 08 May 2023 20:40 by RT325.
08 May 2023 20:34 #7

• Amhirshfeld

Replied by Amhirshfeld on topic Newbie

It is coming from in between the oil pump cover and the crankcase. It is a slow leak, took all day for it to travel to the lowest point for it to hit the oil pan.
08 May 2023 21:54 #8

Replied by gvthnks on topic Newbie

Welcome aboard from north Florida
09 May 2023 13:10 #9

Replied by AirborneSilva on topic Newbie

Welcome from the Space Coast of Florida.  Where the oil pump sits the cover has a small hole in the lower right to allow water to drain, that would be my guess as to where the oil is coming from.  Take the cover off and do some looking around in there.  You might also want to test the oil pump to make sure it's working properly so you don't seize the motor.  Here's a video below on how to check the oil pump.  My daughters name is Ashli, I call her Ash too

Oil Pump adjustment
2023 Tenere T7
1976 DT400C
1975 DT400
1981 DT175H
1972 DT2 250
1980 GT80
1972 JT2
09 May 2023 15:19 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart