facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Head stud removal technique

• Buggin
  • Buggin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Head stud removal technique was created by Buggin

Going to send my 76 Dt400 cylinder in to get machined for a new piston. Whats a good way to remove the head studs beforehand without striping or breaking anything? Map torch? Had a head stud removal tool years ago but it damaged the studs threads on an old air cooled Porsche motor i tried it on.

Thanks,
Brett
1976 Dt400
1985 RZ500
2001 Xr650L
08 Mar 2024 23:20 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic Head stud removal technique

I have a set of stud removal socket thingies that have like a locking clutch where i think three rollers run up ramps & lock on. The more you force it the tighter it locks. Think they would only grip on the un-threaded part if i sat it hard down on the top of the cylinder. Depends how much un-threaded area there is. Much like this one i found googling below. I have a set of 6-8-10mm, maybe 12mm not used them in recent times.
www.autotrail.co.nz/shop/service-tools/s...-8mm-stud-extractor/
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Buggin
09 Mar 2024 02:04 #2

Replied by Tinkicker on topic Head stud removal technique

2 nuts locked together...
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, RT325, yamahahaha, Ht1kid, Buggin, Brzn
09 Mar 2024 05:54 #3

Or 3 nuts even lol & cover all the thread.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Rick C.
09 Mar 2024 12:04 #4

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by MarkT on topic Head stud removal technique

Once a friend loaned me a set of stud installer/removers.  They were like an oversize outside diameter socket that threaded onto the stud...  you needed to use the size that had the right threads.  Anyway, they had some sort of cam/wedge mechanism inside that grabbed the stud when you turned the socket with a ratchet...  the harder you had to pull on the ratchet, the harder they grabbed. 

I had some really stuck studs that the double nut trick struggled with and that socket tool had no issues.  I was going to buy a set but they were stupid expensive.  Oh, and they worked to install too,  It only took a slight reverse turn to release the cam lock.

And yes, steel studs in aluminum can be difficult to remove after many years.  I recently splurged on a induction heater to remove some exhaust nuts on an old vehicle that I was certain the studs would snap and there was not room to fix that without removing the engine....  what an amazing tool!  You place the coil over the nut and press the button and in less than a minute the nut is red hot.  No flame or heat source...  works like magic.    If the head studs are really stuck I'd heat them up and use the melted wax trick.  (I'm sure you can youtube to find it).  We used to do that all the time to remove stuck engine studs in aluminum heads/blocks,. 
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: swm, yamahahaha, Ht1kid, Buggin, Dragonfly
Last edit: 09 Mar 2024 13:07 by MarkT.
09 Mar 2024 13:06 #5

Replied by Ht1kid on topic Head stud removal technique

i.imgur.com/tEBPKBW.jpeg
   This is what I used on a old Model A to remove the head studs

09 Mar 2024 13:44 #6

Head studs generally come out easy unless they've been heavily loctited in which I've never seen. The damn things usually come out complete with thread just when you don't want it to happen miles from home. Mind you they'd have to feel dodgy on tightening for that to happen. Marks idea sounds super trick so I'll YouTube one if I can find it. Only thing that worries me about heating studs red hot is 'does' it soften what's above the cylinder & make it more likely to break off flush. I dunno, I'm just rattling the cage lol. Think Mark was talking about heating nut initially?. I'll go back & read. Must look up the wax trick too.
The locking tool I put a link somewhere is good But stud has to be full 8mm & it'll flatten the tops of the threads if it bares on them from what I remember.
Sorry just morning woffling.
Last edit: 10 Mar 2024 13:45 by RT325.
10 Mar 2024 13:38 #7

Replied by Rick C. on topic Head stud removal technique

I have been lucky to use the 2/3 ea. nut extract method.
12 Mar 2024 23:39 #8

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart