facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Erratic DT175C engine finally solved. Ignition and carb

• KTMDAVE
  • KTMDAVE's Avatar Topic Author
I struggled with erratic engine behavior off and on for months and found the causes finally.   Part of the issue was a slightly miss sized float bowl main jet O-Ring for the model with the main jet located in the bottom of the bowl.  This was combined with another puzzling issue of intermittent and uneven running that deteriorated.   Went as far as to change carb  but the problem persisted.   Finally would fire but not rev out.   I tore the ignition down again and found the points wire had contacted the flywheel and just barely exposed the wire core.  It was not really visible or obvious at first. An example of two issues intermingling and  changing.   A couple lessons re learned.   Started first kick after two weeks...so nice get this puppy killing mosquitoes again.   
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Gr8uncleal, nhsteve, Ht1kid, Sneezles61, pahiker
06 Mar 2024 17:50 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter
Great work!

I've seen the rubbed points wire a couple of times...  REALLY hard to spot that and especially maddening when engine still has spark. 
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
06 Mar 2024 17:54 #2

I like how you were able to find the issues, albeit minor. This will help alot of folks…
Sneezles61
07 Mar 2024 05:25 #3

Very good work on finding the erratic problem plaguing you.

Strictly as an aside and not meaning to "borrow trouble", but I have witnessed more than a couple of times that a worn left crank bearing would throw the timing off. One could detect the wear by trying to shift the flywheel a bit, up and down or side to side. Since the cam that operates the points resides on the inside of the flywheel, any erratic movement caused by a worn bearing causes the timing to be off. Another thing to check upon the purchase of your next CT1!
07 Mar 2024 07:39 #4

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart