facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

New to me DT250B

New to me DT250B was created by Zonie

I just acquired a 76 DT250B. Form what I can see it is pretty original, but a few things have been changed. 
The rear sprocket is new, but there isn't a chain. Looking at the service book I got with it the chain is a 520? The tank isn't original, it looks to be from an earlier model. Should be the orange one with the stripes from what I can tell.
The old girl has been sitting for a very long time and mud dabbers have made nests all over. The exhaust pipe is plugged with mud. The odometer shows a bit over 4000 miles.  Once I clean it up what would be the best way to put it back in service?  I just acquired a 76 DT250B. Form what I can see it is pretty original, but a few things have been changed. 
The rear sprocket is new, but there isn't a chain. Looking at the service book I got with it the chain is a 520? The tank isn't original, it looks to be from an earlier model. Should be the orange one with the stripes from what I can tell.
The old girl has been sitting for a very long time and mud dabbers have made nests all over. The exhaust pipe is plugged with mud. The odometer shows a bit over 4000 miles.  Once I clean it up what would be the best way to put it back in service? Here are a some pictures. 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: adguy2112
24 Oct 2023 09:18 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic New to me DT250B

This image is hidden for guests.

from the UK.

Looks a nice tidy bike.

Clean carb, check air filter, change oil, clean faces of points and, before you ride anywhere, replace both sets of brake shoes (still available from Yamaha).
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid
24 Oct 2023 10:54 #2

Replied by Zonie on topic New to me DT250B

I already have a carb kit and fork oil has been changed. I feel that flushing out the oil tank would be a good idea along with cleaning out the mud from the muffler.  I will report back on the progress that is being made.

24 Oct 2023 14:37 #3

Replied by Ht1kid on topic New to me DT250B

Greetings from Tennessee. 

This image is hidden for guests.

Great looking bike is the carb kit aftermarket?
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
24 Oct 2023 15:45 #4

Replied by RT325 on topic New to me DT250B

Welcome from NZ. You have a very good model there. I had one once as a dirt play bike. Never broke it.
25 Oct 2023 01:38 #5

The carb kit came with the bike, not sure who makes it. The guy who gave me this project bought a bunch of parts from Rocky Mountain ATV before deciding to move it on to me. I will check and see who made the kit.
Cheers
John

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid
25 Oct 2023 05:51 #6

The carb kit came with the bike, not sure who makes it. The guy who gave me this project bought a bunch of parts from Rocky Mountain ATV before deciding to move it on to me. I will check and see who made the kit.
Cheers
John
Well I looked at the carb kit package and there is a sticker over the label. Did take a picture of it. 
Rebuilding the carb is my goal for today. 
26 Oct 2023 08:20 #7

This message has an attachment image.

Replied by msavitt on topic New to me DT250B

beautiful bike, congratulations !
I would use the carb kit for gaskets, o-rings, other non-metering parts but not jets.
If your bike has correct Mikuni jets then I would clean them and reuse.  To tell if they are Mikuni you got to look for a square with a square within it, its tiny and I have to use a binoculars turned around backwards!
Also might want to start her up with premix after doing all the stuff already recommended + flushing, refilling bleeding and adjusting the lube pump so you can check its output without risk of running without oil and having a meltdown
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Ht1kid
26 Oct 2023 15:49 #8

Replied by Ht1kid on topic New to me DT250B

Yes I think that is a good kit came from Niche cycle you can double check the jet, needle for there logo. Mikuni 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
26 Oct 2023 15:53 #9

Replied by MarkT on topic New to me DT250B

I learn something new here from you guys almost every day!  I didn't know Niche (or anyone!) had carb kits with genuine Mikuni jets! 
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: msavitt
26 Oct 2023 16:07 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart