facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Fixing bent swing arm?

• srsnow
  • srsnow's Avatar Topic Author

Fixing bent swing arm? was created by srsnow

On my 74 DT125 the shop bent the eye where the bushing goes in when they rep;aced them, so the bolt no longer lined up. Instead of trying to fix it since it seems it was bent at the weld and I didn't want to crack the weld i bought another one. This on is bent in a new different way, one arm is higher than the other. So the rear axle doesn't line up and one shock won't fit in the bracket. Seems to b off by about 1/2 and inch. Has anyone come across this and if so how did you fix it?
25 Jul 2022 19:00 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic Fixing bent swing arm?

I have had it before & make ya wonder how it happened. But at least the bolt lines up so bolt it up tight the put a long bar through over & under depening if you want one to go up or down--bit of both maybe. Take & eyeball along & see if you can decide which one went up. Up is more likely than down on one. Thinking maybe he went over jumps with one shock broken etc. Another way would be to put a solid bar in place of the shock on one side then jack down the other side using a hydraulic jack placed between arm & top shock mount. I'll go without too much effort. Lots of tricks--just a smack with a heavy wood mallet would move it. Other thing to watch--or hope its ok--is that the axle lugs are both pointing vertical & not bent off square. Sorry to hear ya having a bad run at the moment. I'd like to be a fly on the wall & see how the hell they bent it. I realise you have two post running now.
ps, of course you need to hold it steady while doing all this. Cay you tie it down on a trailer & with a box under the motor, then get into it. Just don't hurt yourself.
Last edit: 25 Jul 2022 20:45 by RT325.
25 Jul 2022 20:43 #2

• srsnow

Replied by srsnow on topic Fixing bent swing arm?

Thanks for the ideas, I will have to give that a try. I assumed it might be hard to move it, sadly I am not sure I have a good way to hold it secure enough. I was thinking last resort maybe a body shop might be able to do something with it, but not sure they would do it.
25 Jul 2022 21:09 #3

Replied by Ht1kid on topic Fixing bent swing arm?

Machine shop could fix it probably with a press
The following user(s) Liked this Post: LETSJET
25 Jul 2022 21:24 #4

Replied by Buggin on topic Fixing bent swing arm?

I see that Bill Bunes shop straightens bent fork tubes. Maybe they could do the swingarm too?
1976 Dt400
1985 RZ500
2001 Xr650L
26 Jul 2022 07:09 #5

• srsnow

Replied by srsnow on topic Fixing bent swing arm?

Got a third swing arm checked it beofre taking to get bushing replaced, everything w good. Got it back they bent this one to, totally different shop this time.  Ihave a feeling I am just going to have to run old worn out bushings since it seems no one can figure out how to do it.t.
03 Aug 2022 18:15 #6

Unbe-bloody-leavable. How does a press get involved anyway. Unless its the bonded rubber bushes with steel outers & inners. & i think it was decided it doesn't run those. Fiber bushes are easily removed & if the spacer through the middle is 'well stuck in' it can still be driven out with carefull support on the arm or bush flange. I don't know--i'm woffling but just sounds off the planet. Ya not pulling our leg are ya. Ok i'm sure ya not. Post a pic of your arm or all three & a closeup of the pushes. I feel for ya, realy do.
Last edit: 03 Aug 2022 18:51 by RT325.
03 Aug 2022 18:48 #7

Replied by MarkT on topic Fixing bent swing arm?

USA 74 DT125 does have the older AT/CT style bonded rubber bushings (that never seem to wear out). 
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
03 Aug 2022 19:10 #8

Hi Mark. Ok i thought i mentioned that early on & got shot down in flame haha--only friendly flames!!. So that's good & also explains the difficulty except i still recon they last forever & only if the bolt is loose is there movement. Have a happy day--i've just got the alternator out of a TRX500 crawling around in through the back--north south motor. Youtube is great or i'd have had the swing-arm out & being someones beach bike everything is rusted solid. Happy days.

Sorry Mark, i was completely back to front & looked back to where you pointed out the model where i put up a fiber bush pic. appologies!!
 Poor poster is having a hell of a time.
Last edit: 03 Aug 2022 19:29 by RT325.
03 Aug 2022 19:20 #9

Replied by 1971DT250 on topic Fixing bent swing arm?

My high school shop teacher taught us well about being careful when using force. He would describe to us and demonstrate "the gentle application of force".
The hours spent riding my Enduros is not deducted from my life span.
04 Aug 2022 06:00 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart