facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

DT400c, open Speedometer and Tachometer

• miglusmiglus
  • miglusmiglus's Avatar Topic Author

DT400c, open Speedometer and Tachometer was created by miglusmiglus

Hi there,

I am getting my dads old Dt400 from 1976 (german model) back on the road.
I have noticed that my speedometer is only reading good till about 30Km/h and after that wildly jumping in all directions so I want to take a look inside to see whats wrong.
Issue of course is the way to open it up as you apparently have to remove the ring and glass top.
Anyone here recommending a method to do that and not destroy the ring?
At the same time I need to open up my tachometer because one of the tiny little screws holding in my face plate is out and about flying around in there.

Read some stuff around here that mostly lead back to contacting DEET to restore it but I am located in Germany so thats gona be a little difficult. Looking for any advice before trying it myself and destroying the thing which is pretty hard and expensive to come by here.

Thanks in Advance
M

21 Jul 2022 14:20 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Pedalcrazy on topic DT400c, open Speedometer and Tachometer

You might check that the problem isn’t with the cable itself and save opening them up. Disconnect the cable at the motor or front wheel and straighten out any kinks. Put the end in your drill and set the drill to reverse and give it a try. Maybe put some lube like WD40 down the cable first. I’ve had a tach or speedo jump around only to find my cable needed replaced. Hooked them up to my drill with a different cable and worked smooth as glass.
1978 DT400E
1976 DT400C
1973 RT3
1971 RT1B
1968 DT1 (3)
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
21 Jul 2022 15:29 #2

Replied by MarkT on topic DT400c, open Speedometer and Tachometer

There's several "how to" posts on this topic...  cable could definitely be the issue.

Anyway, here's one of the better threads about gauges:

yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/forums/how-...uge-restoration#2004

(actually just the first one that came up in my search)

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
21 Jul 2022 16:22 #3

• miglusmiglus
  • miglusmiglus's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by miglusmiglus on topic DT400c, open Speedometer and Tachometer

Thanks for the link. Apparently I don't in how to use the search engine here because I didn't get that awsome link. I hadn't tried with "gauge restoration" though, that would have saved me the post here.

I tried the drill bit already but read up afterwards that I need to reverse it, so I'll try that again.
Maybe I only need to open up the tach and can save me the effort on the speedo.
22 Jul 2022 04:19 #4

Replied by akara1 on topic DT400c, open Speedometer and Tachometer

I use a small screwdriver as well, to pry the tin rings off, very slow and tedious process but worth It. I use the same screwdriver to fold and crimp the edges over when I'm done. Helps if you have an old crappy gauge to practice on first 
22 Jul 2022 08:14 #5

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart