facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Black carburettor cleaning

• Jammyyammy
  • Jammyyammy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Black carburettor cleaning was created by Jammyyammy

Hi - I've taken my black painted carb apart, thinking I was just going to give it a bit of a squirt of carb cleaner and put it back together. However, there are now little bits of black paint everywhere. So, was thinking about taking it somewhere to get it ultrasonic cleaned. Wil the ultrasonic cleaner remove the paint? Should I remove the paint (paint stripper? NO! - I hear you say) before I take it to the cleaner? Will the cleaner be grumpy when I take a black painted carb to him?
02 Mar 2021 00:23 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Yamadude on topic Black carburettor cleaning

Now that your black paint is starting to come off, I would suggest stripping the rest of it off, and repainting it if that's what you like. I recently soaked my painted carb in Berryman CarbDip for 20 hours at room temp. It softened all the paint, so it came off  easily with just a toothbrush under warm water and all purpose cleaner. 

I saw another thread at this forum where someone repainted their carb.   I would use a spray can of paint made for brake calipers. 
You can just call me Dude.
Syracuse, New York
Current bikes: 1973 DT3, 1974 TY250, 1969 Triumph Bonneville, 1975 XS650, 1976 XS650, 1982 XS650, 1983 XS650, 2006 FJR1300
02 Mar 2021 07:31 #2

Replied by Schu on topic Black carburettor cleaning

I have a Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner that did remove a majority of my black OEM paint from the carb body, but not all of it. So it looks nasty right now....
Schu

CT1B, CT1C, JT1, JT2, DT360A, GT80B, DT100B, DT125B,
DT175B, DT175C, DT250B, DT400B, Z50, SCR950

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas
02 Mar 2021 15:05 #3

• Jammyyammy
  • Jammyyammy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by Jammyyammy on topic Black carburettor cleaning

Thanks for the replies. Can't seem to get Berrymans here in a the uk - it must be far too good !
I'll probably take the carb apart and carefully treat each individual part with paint stripper before ultrasonic cleaning (and spraying it back up after confirming it all works ok).
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Mothersbaugh, Yamadude
02 Mar 2021 23:03 #4

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart