facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Hoping to bring my old DT 360 back from the dead

• Jack
  • Jack's Avatar Topic Author
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor
Thank you for all the information Pedalcrazy and Mark. Definitely not going to take my chances on a used engine, likely end up with another one just like this one. Don't need two of them. ( :

I've got to sit down and make a parts list of everything I'm going to need and see if I can squeeze it all into my budget. I'll have to have my cylinder work done first so I can figure out which piston I'll need, pretty sure I'll need an oversize but no idea how much. Doesn't look like Crank Works does cylinder work so I'll have to find someone who can do that, hopefully a little closer to home. By the time I get that done I'll have figured out where to send my crank. Thanks again guys, really appreciate your help.
05 Oct 2020 18:34 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by bluntz465 on topic Hoping to bring my old DT 360 back from the dead

Boy did you come to the right place!
1957 Cushman Eagle 1969 Honda 90 ATC 1969 Honda CB250
1973 Yamaha AT3 1974 Kawasaki KH440 1974 Honda XR75
1975 Suzuki TS75 1975 Kawasaki GreenStreak 90 1975 Suzuki GT550
1975 Suzuki TS250 1976 Suzuki GT550 1976 Indian Chief
1976 Yamaha YZ80 1978 Yamaha IT175 1980 Suzuki GS550
1982 Yamaha IT465J
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Jack
05 Oct 2020 18:40 #12

• Jack
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor

Yep, I think I got really lucky finding this place!
05 Oct 2020 19:06 #13

• Jack
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor
I've been trying to find a reputable machine shop that does engine work a little closer to home but it's turning out to be a lot harder than I anticipated. The nearest place I've found that sounds like they could handle the work is Donnells in Independence Missouri. Does anyone here happen to have any experience with them?
06 Oct 2020 11:27 #14

• Jack
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor
Have sent a couple querys out to engine builders for boring and crank work. Meanwhile I've been cleaning up the case halves and sorting through all the loose parts. I found that the clutch push rod was missing but last night I found what appears to be a decent on on ebay so I ordered it. So far that's the only thing I've found to be missing. Fingers crossed. Gave the frame a quick power wash this morning just because it looked so sorry sitting there covered in 30 years of dust and I didn't like looking at it in that condition. Been downloading parts and service manuals from the site here so I'll at least have an idea of what I'm doing when I put her back together some day. So cool to have all this information at my finger tips, it's much appreciated!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Snglsmkr, Pete-RT1
07 Oct 2020 09:29 #15

I'd focus on quality more than distance. Bill Bune has a great rep for quality work.

Enduronut (member here) probably has the piston and rings you need at a decent price so don't be discouraged if you have trouble finding them... they are rarer than some but available.

Make sure whoever does your boring sticks with Yamaha piston clearance specs and knows how to properly chamfer ports.

Also remember that when you get the cylinder back that normally the shop just does a preliminary cleaning and the final cleaning is expected to be done by the installer before installation.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Snglsmkr, Jack
07 Oct 2020 12:07 #16

• Jack
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor
Thanks Mark. Bill Bune is one of those I've reached out to. Just sent him the information this morning so haven't heard back yet. I'm so new to this I'm not even sure what you mean by final cleaning. Are you just talking about cleaning the fins, mating surfaces, or something else?
07 Oct 2020 12:40 #17

I'd clean those areas before sending it off.

I'm talking about the bore and ports... grit and debris from boring and honing can still be embedded in the cast iron and nooks and crannies in the ports.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Jack
07 Oct 2020 14:07 #18

• Jack
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor
Thanks for clearing that up. I'll make sure to clean up any left overs from the machine work. I already planned on cleaning up everything before shipping it off. I doubt if they like working with dirty parts any more than I do.
Since I've never done it before I thought I'd make sure I was able to put the trans gears, shifting forks, cam and all that back in so went at it this afternoon. I'm leaving the all the old bearings in place for now so I can practice.

To make a long story short, I finally did get it back together but what a struggle trying to hold everything together and drop it in as a unit, which appears to be how it must be done. I'm gonna take it all back out and do it at least once more just to make sure I got it down before the real event. But before I do, anyone have any hints/tricks or advice on getting it all in there. Seems like there's got to be an easier way, but maybe not.
07 Oct 2020 15:22 #19

• Jack
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor
I've been talking with Josh Bune and will probably go with him on the crank and cylinder work. But he can't supply any of the parts so I've been chasing everything down. Enduonut has the piston and rings I need and I think I've found the everything for the crank on ebay.

Question about part numbers. Looking in the Japanese part manual here on the site the part number for my con rod is 214-11651-01 but Partszilla has a parts breakdown diagram that shows it as 510-11651-00-00. Found an ebay listing with same part number as Partzilla but want to make sure it's right before ordering.

Also, I mentioned that I was having some trouble with installing trans internals as a unit. I took it back apart and put it back together and just to make sure all was right I put the case back together and tried shifting but got something wrong. Can only move the the cam a few degrees in each direction . Is there a certain position the cam needs to be in when installing so that forks will line up correctly? It's a fascinating set up, just wish I could figure out how it goes back together. One thing for sure I definitely have to get it figured out before final installation.
09 Oct 2020 18:08 #20

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart