facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

MX360 pipe on a DT360

• turbodan
  • turbodan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

MX360 pipe on a DT360 was created by turbodan

Definitely makes a difference. I wanted to follow the DT route behind the rear shock so I chopped the end of the rear cone and rotated it 180 degrees. The rest of the pipe fits like it's supposed to be on there.

The silencer is off of some MX bike. KX250 or something. The stinger required two cuts and welds to fit it's new application.

Power is much better than the stock pipe and spark arrestor. Bottom to top, though most of the new punch is from 5000 rpm to redline. Where stock rolled over the new pipe pulls hard, all the way up. Top speed is at least 90.

This is with the stock reed block, stock head and stock porting. It is running a 35mm keihin carb which added a bit of power by itself. Next step is some porting. I've had Tom Morgan do vintage stuff before and it turned out well so I'll be sending him a DT top end soon. I like the DT360 exhaust port but the transfer duration is extremely short. By comparison the MX360 has an additional 2.5mm of transfer port height. I'd be running that top end if not for the very aggressive exhaust timing.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Bigdog302, FrankC, Von, makoco, Jack
24 Sep 2020 19:05 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by FrankC on topic MX360 pipe on a DT360

Sounds like a good way to go to me.
27 Sep 2020 15:31 #2

Replied by Bigdog302 on topic MX360 pipe on a DT360

wow! glad it is working for you. I have the same pipe on a modified DT400 with a MX400 top end and IT400 cab on it, I will have to mod the pipe like you did yours as I want to put the seat lock back on.:OnFire
2 1968 DT1s,1970 RT1M,1970 DT1C,1971 RT1B,1971 Honda Z50K2,1974 DT100A 1974DT250A,1974 Honda MT250,2 1975 DT400Bs,1975 Honda CR250M1,1978 DT175E,1979 Honda CR250R.
Dave
Jesus is Lord!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: FrankC, turbodan
27 Sep 2020 17:47 #3

• turbodan
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by turbodan on topic MX360 pipe on a DT360

Its a little tight going behind the shock but I like that route much better. You have to cut the stinger short on the expansion chamber and locate the slip joint right behind the shock.

Only problem with this setup is the price, availability and condition of these pipes. Hard to find a nice one these days and the prices are steep.
28 Sep 2020 07:30 #4

Replied by makoco on topic MX360 pipe on a DT360

I have the mx pipe waiting to be installed on my dt360. How did you worked out the exhaust mounting flange on the cylinder exhaust port? Did you fabricated the flange (bolt on to spring held conversion) or you founded a stock option?

Very Respectful

Marcos
25 Sep 2021 07:13 #5

• turbodan
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Hi Marcos,

The exhaust flange from a 73-74 MX360 bolts right up to the DT cylinder.  You have to figure something out with springs but that's pretty simple.
25 Sep 2021 07:49 #6

Thanks for your prompt reply; btw I noticed the pipe support to the mx frame was chopped and welded to the upper side of the pipe (where the dt pipe is supported from. There is a mounting support bushing that bolts to the mx frame; based on your installation did you considered this option by welding a bolt support to the dt frame or it was to way off or obstructive? 

I am almost ready to proceed and will like to have as much of the parts ready and the logistics planned so that I complete the work at once.

I am considering welding the dt (enduro 360)  grill supports to the mx pipe to better maintain a stock appearance 

Very Respectful

Marcos

26 Sep 2021 08:22 #7

• turbodan
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

I utilized the stock DT upper exhaust mount location with a new bracket and rubber mount.  You could weld a bracket to the frame to mount up to the original MX pipe, I just preferred modifying the pipe rather than the frame.

I also considered welding up mounting provisions for the stock DT muffler trim.  It would look better that way but I never followed through.
26 Sep 2021 09:39 #8

I appreciate your reply, I did find all the parts including the mx mount, the gaskets and the flange. I have the stock spring and bolt that retains it ( I bought it with the mx expansion chamber years ago) . Will try it as is first (routing it on the outside side of the shock) before cutting it to modify the exhaust route. 

I was going to port it but want to wait (the local guys here in the island port the two strokes as if they were to be dragsters ( when they want to take the bike to the dyne before they port them, I walk away immediately as they will get frustrated if they don't get 55 hp out of this engine/ which will make it unrideable on the woods). to that I plan to increase the carb size and add the delta force reeds modifying the intake cage/ to that what read valve you use that matches the intake bolt pattern? 

I will eventually port it myself following the MX porting pattern/ when you port yours I will appreciate the feedback 

I own many dt s / rd s and a new rz 350 (never registered it) and getting a dt250f (1979 ) with yz suspensions (of the time ) and getting a pipe and engine built by LED Performance. This 360 is what I ride everyday 

Very Respectful 

Marcos
10 Oct 2021 19:00 #9

BTW I noticed you have the oil feed line to the autolube pump as well as the line from the pump to the intake port, You still maintain the oil injection system. No big deal I was just curious . On my daily rides I maintain the autolube system for convenience and never had a problem with given Mikuni pumps
10 Oct 2021 19:14 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart