facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

'75 DT250 plug diagnosis - Lean run suggestions

• smd3
  • smd3's Avatar Topic Author
My spark plug seems to clearly indicate that my bike is running lean, but whenever I try to richen it up it runs worse.

The motor is stock and I replaced the crank seals when I was getting it running. It does leak from the clutch arm seal. I swapped out the points for an electronic ignition from Rex's Speed Shop.

The needle is on it's lowest setting (clip in the top groove) and it runs pretty good! Revving the motor, idle, and mid-throttle all are really good. (Especially once it's warmed up) It will stutter a bit at nearly full throttle a bit.

Raising the needle one step makes the mid-throttle response stutter and the bike loses some top-end power.

Our altitude here is ~5000ft, so I had thought that it needed to be leaned out because of that. However, after driving it a bit and looking at the plug I'm concerned that I'm going to ruin the motor.
26 May 2020 18:15 #1

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Plug picture

So... what exactly are you worried about? Not sure how you took your plug reading but the one in you picture certainly doesn't look lean... unless I'm missing something?

(Tried to insert your plug picture into this post... not sure if it will work, never tried it before.)
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
Last edit: 26 May 2020 18:39 by MarkT.
26 May 2020 18:36 #2

Plug look fine to me. I'd be happy with that coloring. Remember the needle is only changing mid-throttle to WOT. At your elevation, I would probably re-jet so that I could get the needle back to the mid-point so I could fine tune from there. At the top spot, you're stuck.
Allrighty Then
26 May 2020 18:50 #3

• smd3
  • smd3's Avatar Topic Author
Thanks for the feedback! I was using the plug pictures/guide on this Mikuni tuning page, and it seemed like it might be lean.
www.vintagebikebuilder.com/mikuni-tuning-and-jetting-guide.html

It's been on my mind to order the leaner jets/parts, but I need to figure out what's in it. (I'm pretty sure it's whatever came with the bike, nothing else has been modified on the bike and it was in California, so likely closer to sea level.)
27 May 2020 09:32 #4

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart