facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

74 DT360A Runs intermittently

• abowman
  • abowman's Avatar Topic Author

74 DT360A Runs intermittently was created by abowman

Hi All,

Just got my first DT. Very excited about it.

Anyway, the bike runs great for about 5 minutes. Starts up easily, rips around, then all of a sudden nothing. Once it dies, give it a few more kicks and it comes back to life. Another 5 minutes, then nothing.

The bike was sitting for a while with the previous owner and I'm wondering if something as simple as the battery could be causing this issue? Is it worth buying a brand new battery to try out before going down another road? It seems like the bike just loses spark all of a sudden. And, the fact that it's almost like clockwork makes me think it's something other than a bare wire somewhere since that would be more sporadic.

This may be a dumb question, but I'm just starting to learn about these two strokes. I'm used to old HDs with magnetos and very little wiring.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Best,
Alex
26 Feb 2020 14:50 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by MarkT on topic 74 DT360A Runs intermittently

Gas cap air vent plugged can also cause stalling. Fairly common. Pop cap open when it does and see if it fixes it.

It has a CDI magneto if still original. No battery required for spark. Leave lights off though as you'll probably blow all the bulbs running without a good battery.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
26 Feb 2020 16:28 #2

Replied by RT325 on topic 74 DT360A Runs intermittently

yes as MarkT says not battery required. My wild guess is stator source coil or trigger coil packing up with vibration & heat but 5 minutes doesn't give heat much time. So hope it's a fuel flow problem but if fuel i'd expect it to fade off before stopping rather than cut dead as electrics do. pull the hose at the carb & see if it flows constantly for say 5 minutes. If so--then off with the carb then the bowl & go looking. If all good then back to the cdi mag & start again.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Devin
26 Feb 2020 17:04 #3

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart