facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Will a seat pan/fender off a TY250 fit onto a 76 DT400? (or close enough?)

• none_of_my_bikes_run
  • none_of_my_bikes_run's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter
Title says it.

I love the look of the short rear fender on the TY’s, which is part of the seat base. It sort of hugs the u-loop. And I am thinking I might be able put one on my DT.

Anyone familiar enough with both bikes know if it would fit, or be close enough that I could “encourage” it to fit?

I could just cut my current fender to the shape i’m looking for but i don’t want to waste a perfectly good original fender. Also i’m not a metal/fiberglass worker so fabbing one is pretty much out.

thanks for any input or ideas!

Pics for reference of what i’m going for. I’m basically looking to lose everything below the red line.
Added two other pics as examples
08 Feb 2020 15:29 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I cannot say directly whether the TY seat will go right on. The front of the TY seat has a metal tab that slots under a cross member, the back is held down by a metal bracket on either side of the base.

I would suggest maybe looking into a flat track seat, as you depict. There must still be some manufacturers out there that would have something that might be closer to what you want to accomplish. The Harley Davidson XR750 flat tracker style is probably close to what you are talking about

Also, the TY seat is pretty minimal, unless you get the longer optional seat that was available then.
15 Feb 2020 15:35 #2

I understand the look you're going for, but trust me the ty seat is not for sitting on, I have a '74.
16 Feb 2020 09:17 #3

• none_of_my_bikes_run
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter
Thanks for the responses guys.

@nhsteve - good to know about how it mounts up thanks. I will look into flat track mfg but from what i’ve seen they’re usually pricy. Another reason TY lured me is the fact that it is the same yellow, so I wouldn’t have to do any painting of aftermarket fenders.

@jpman - yeah, i figured as much. I have a buddy who can easily help me make my own seat so that was the plan, regardless of what seat pan / fender I go with. “minimal but not TOO minimal” is the goal.
16 Feb 2020 09:49 #4

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter
Yamaha sold a fiberglass seat kit... not clear if it was for the Champion frames they also sold or for the stock frame? Probably a needle in a haystack to find one... BUT it was probably produced by an aftermarket company so maybe if you search the current fiberglass manufacturers someone still has the mold or makes them?

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
16 Feb 2020 09:59 #5

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• none_of_my_bikes_run
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter
Thanks Mark, I will look into those. Would be sweet if I could find one.
20 Feb 2020 04:25 #6

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart