facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Oiler

• Nsnnif97
  • Nsnnif97's Avatar Topic Author

Oiler was created by Nsnnif97

Got a 73 at3 finally got it running and riding looking to transition from mix gas to using the oil system I plan on adjusting/bleeding the pump according to the book is there anything I need to watch  out for before going too wild on this

Thanks!
16 Sep 2023 22:34 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic Oiler

`Sounds like ya 'onto it'. Is the pump on there now & been de-activated somehow or just unhooked the cable to leave it on minimum delivery.
If so, then here's my ideas, be they right or wrong.
just align the mark on the pulley at closed throttle & with minimal slack in the lower throttle cable so both pump & throttle slide lift together.
Minimum stroke--idle stroke just follow the manual but guessing 20 thou absolute max & below 10 is getting dodgy. Let it flow out the bleed hole for a bit for a constant flow.
You'll never get rid of all bubbles, but the big ones that cause a hiccup in the flow.
Systems not sealed & oil sloshes in the tank & pumps not full as the bleed is down the side.
With it running & still on premix just check the flow up to the cylinder.
Just block the cylinder hole with a 6mm short crew for a minute then hold the union so it can pump into something but have it as vertical as you can so you can see it pulsing at the union. Bend it over too far & oil will just fall out.
It pumps very very little on minimum but a noticeable pulse on full stroke.
Could set the idle up a bit & just pull the pump cable at the adjuster then watch it.
No need to rev the bollocks off it.
I'd say you know all that.
No ideas why writing style changes. If it looks that way from your end. Often does that.
Last edit: 17 Sep 2023 05:13 by RT325.
17 Sep 2023 05:08 #2

• Nsnnif97
  • Nsnnif97's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Nsnnif97 on topic Oiler

All I did was unhooked the line from the tank and kindled it off u was told for 15+ years that the bike didn't run... turns out she just needed some tlc and a new ignition coil but started with mix gas cause that's what I was told here
17 Sep 2023 06:26 #3

Replied by RT325 on topic Oiler

'I think' that if you've only unhooked the pipe it would have just pumped until there was no oil high enough in the pump body to pump up to the cylinder.
So my theory is there'd still be enough to lubricate the pump internals. So should still be ok.
But i'm from a time when they gave no trouble back in the "70's & worked in the shop so just service adjustments.
50 years later it can all change.
There knowledgable people on here so best see what others advise.
Think it's Deet that rebuilds pumps so he will put me in line i hope lol.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Nsnnif97
17 Sep 2023 16:10 #4

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart