facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Turn Sign)nal trouble shooting

• tony.dzikowicz
  • tony.dzikowicz's Avatar Topic Author

Turn Sign)nal trouble shooting was created by tony.dzikowicz

Looking for some help with troubleshooting turn signals.  72 DT250.. survivor.. all original   got it running after 25+ years of hibernation and it's running like a top.  only remaining issue is turn signals are not blinking.  I've done some reading and tried two different relays.. the first was for a honda and made the headlight also blink.. the second is electronic (I think) off amazon.. and with this one my turn signals blink but so does my taillight.    this led to some troubleshooting where I eliminated the relay and simply touched the wires leading to the relay together.... sees that they're working ok.. when connected, light is on.. when disconnected light is off (simulating the relay), but my rear light still blinks when connecting/disconnecting wires..  planning to start tracing wires, but any leads would help

06 Jun 2023 18:07 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by SKYDANCER46 on topic Turn Sign)nal trouble shooting

Check out this link below and read thru it.  Most likely your tail light or brake light is dimming when your turn signals flash on. Not blinking. Well known issue. Been multiple threads on this but no one seems to come up with the answer or fix yet?  

yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/forums/gene...rical-gremlin#159582

1970 DT250C
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Brzn
Last edit: 06 Jun 2023 19:05 by SKYDANCER46.
06 Jun 2023 18:50 #2

Replied by MarkT on topic Turn Sign)nal trouble shooting

Details are important. Just saying your rear light blinks doesn't mean much.

My guess is you have the taillight on and if you pay attention taillight actually dims when the turn signals lights up?

If the taillight is off and then lights up at same time as turn signal it would be a very different problem.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
06 Jun 2023 18:52 #3

Replied by RT325 on topic Turn Sign)nal trouble shooting

Without getting too into it, sounds a bit like there's two problems. The bulbs not matching the relay. &/Or the bulbs too high wattage for the battery condition. I'm not up with the play on led bulbs but might be an easy cure [someone?]. If bulbs are 17watt [two of] that sounds high & hard on the battery even a good Bat. Think we used to use an 8 watt  relay & bulbs [or 10 watt bulbs for a slightly faster flash]. Got to take the indicating bulb in the tacho into account incase someone's fitted a 12volt 3 watt. [has someone fitted 12volts  in the blinkers too by mistake].
Is it a sealed headlight?, we had replaceable bulbs so could alter things. If a lower wattage headlight bulb is available it'll give a brighter headlight but risk blowing it if you go too low wattage & rev it hard.
Maybe i'd better not start talking that idea yet.
Just keep it original in bulbs & relay. There might be a wiring double plug on one stator wire to increase battery charge. Totally guessing green/red into double green.
I'll go look at a diagram later.
MarkT & i seem to often type at the same time haha--it's a race--i lose again.
& Skydancer46--man i'm slow. Morning- evening- afternoon all.
Welcome also to TONY.DZIKOWICZ

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Jewelkutter
Last edit: 06 Jun 2023 19:09 by RT325.
06 Jun 2023 18:53 #4

Good evening RT325, 
By the way what time is it right now where your at?

Funny this question came up, i just messaged Dave yesterday about his 72 DT250 and if he ever fixed it. Says he has the new wire harness but doesn't plan on installing until this winter. 

1970 DT250C
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Brzn
06 Jun 2023 19:13 #5

14.20 where i am 2.20pm in NZ & Damn Cold. Time to light the fire [might put a muffler in it haha].
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Sneezles61
06 Jun 2023 19:22 #6

That's right, it's Winter in your part of the world. You can have it! Lol!

1970 DT250C
06 Jun 2023 19:29 #7

Replied by MarkT on topic Turn Sign)nal trouble shooting

Skydancer wrote: "Been multiple threads on this but no one seems to come up with the answer or fix yet?"

Not exactly true.  I've fixed these issues a few times and have tried to explain the process in several threads.  It's not rocket science.  Depending on the symptoms, if can be a bad ground or high resistance somewhere in the circuit. Very often it's the battery.  A simple voltmeter or even a test light is all you need to track it down.  My guess is either I've not been able to explain it clearly or more likely nobody has taken the time to follow the process.  I can say nobody has ever said they tried the troubleshooting process, didn't find an issue, and the problem remained. 
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid, Jewelkutter
07 Jun 2023 05:05 #8

Replied by Brzn on topic Turn Sign)nal trouble shooting

Ha!

Mark,
I've tried the trouble shooting process and couldn't find the issue. My problem still remains.
After cleaning all the grounds the issue isn't quite as bad, but still remains.
I'll replace the wire harness this next winter and if that doesn't solve the problem I'll be sending my ignition switch and Hi/Low beam switch to DEET to rewire.
09 Jun 2023 05:11 #9

Maybe i need to catch up, but cleaning all the grounds sounds do you mean cleaning each flasher earth plug into the loom or do you have multiple separate earths to the frame in various places. Flashers earthed to the frame etc. Those crimped terminals can be bad sometimes. Wires can break within the covering if in a flexing situation like at the steering head up into the headlight. But be sure the main loom earth is Earthing & each black earth wire at all flashers go back to the main earth at the coil mount. Run a jumper wire from frame loom earth & check each flasher--or two jumpers one front & one back on same side & see if improves/fixes. I'm just woffling on i know--but.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Jewelkutter, Sneezles61, Brzn
09 Jun 2023 05:29 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart