facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Question on 1973 RT 3

• Wildcat
  • Wildcat's Avatar Topic Author

Question on 1973 RT 3 was created by Wildcat

Should the rear sprocket have some play from side to side.
I installed a new sprocket and it is mounted well.
thank you,
09 Mar 2023 17:17 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic Question on 1973 RT 3

Its a yamaha downfall with the sprocket cush drive system the use & they wear on the hub & wear inside the sprocket holder. If you only have 'Some ' play ya doing far better than me. In my case it's probably the chain guide keeping it inline but never lost a chain because of it. People have variouse ways of reducing the play but in my opinion spacing it hard ove sideways isn't going to end well for the big circlip & doing 'that' only masks the movement. I wonder how a sleeve made to size would work. Sking the sprocket holder inside & skim the hub. But then that reduces the circlip depth as youd need to machine it all the way out to get the sleeve on. Just live with it i guess & grease under it now & then.
Very first DT1 had a bearing in the sprocket carrier. Must've been too costly to manufacture. I've got a TT250 wheel waiting for me which has 'that' bearing in the sprocket trick--good trick 'that'.
Last edit: 09 Mar 2023 18:25 by RT325.
09 Mar 2023 18:23 #2

Replied by Mothersbaugh on topic Question on 1973 RT 3

I thought I read somewhere that the slight side to side play was deliberate so that the sprocket could self-align in the chain in the event wild things were happening with the suspension and chain tension?
11 Mar 2023 18:30 #3

Replied by RT325 on topic Question on 1973 RT 3

Call it racing clearance, but there has to be a limit, & the circlip will tell you that if it twists & pushes too hard.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Mothersbaugh
11 Mar 2023 19:32 #4

• Wildcat
  • Wildcat's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Wildcat on topic Question on 1973 RT 3

Thank you very much
12 Mar 2023 12:20 #5

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart