facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Connecting Voltage Regulator

• Brzn
  • Brzn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Connecting Voltage Regulator was created by Brzn

I've purchased a NOS Voltage Regulator for my '72 DT2.

The instructions in the Tech Library state to connect a 5" 18 gauge black wire with an eyelet to one of the mounting bolts for the regulator. It appears I have an open black wired female connector I'll simply plug a male connector into, correct?

Then the yellow wire with the white tracer off the regulator is to be spliced into a dark blue wire. There are three dark blue wires coming out of the harness; one to the ignition, and the others end up going to the backlight for the tach and speedo. Does it matter which dark blue wire I connect the regulator too? If it doesn't it appears I can pigtail to the one going to the speedo fairly easily without cutting any wires.

05 Oct 2022 04:18 #1

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Sneezles61 on topic Connecting Voltage Regulator

I hooked the yellow into the speedo and tach blue.
 Before you just tie into the black, I’d determine no power is fed to it with your DC volt meter… Hook to the black and touch to a good known ground.. do that running and then engine stopped but key on. If it is ground, no voltage should show. Then leave it hooked to the black wire and go to the red on the battery post, there you should see voltage.
 Sneezles61 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: AirborneSilva
05 Oct 2022 04:57 #2

Replied by MarkT on topic Connecting Voltage Regulator

Best to connect to the blue wires powering the gauge illumination lights as the diagram in the bulletin shows.

If I remember correctly, they have you mounting the regulator to the headlight bucket and the instructions given are how to ground the headlight bucket. You can do that.

If mounting somewhere else (or even to headlight bucket which is rubber mounted and may not provide a good ground) then running a ground wire to one of the regulator mounting bolts is a good idea. (You'll likely need more than 5" of wire that it would take to ground the bucket as described in instructions.)
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: swm
05 Oct 2022 05:03 #3

• Brzn
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by Brzn on topic Connecting Voltage Regulator

Yup, I've got the regulator connected directly to the headlight bucket. The 5" of black 18 gauge wire is more than long enough to plug into the open black connector that goes to the speedometer ground.

In the Tech Library, Wiring Diagrams, page 3, Generic Early Yamaha Wiring Diagrams the black in the headlight bucket shows as ground.
Last edit: 05 Oct 2022 06:36 by Brzn.
05 Oct 2022 05:23 #4

• Brzn
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

I bought a nice pair of crimping pliers from Vintageconnections.com, and with the help of DEET sending me a couple male bullet connectors with PVC insulators and two wires pre made up, I've connected the 18 gauge black wire into the ground for the tach and speedo lighting and pigtailed the yellow wire with white tracer to a jumper I made to the dark blue wire going to the speedo back light. Should now be good to go!

This image is hidden for guests.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, AirborneSilva, Ht1kid, Sneezles61
Last edit: 10 Oct 2022 10:52 by Brzn.
10 Oct 2022 06:50 #5

Replied by MarkT on topic Connecting Voltage Regulator

I know DEET makes the full harnesses for many models and also some mini "conversion" harnesses like when swapping CDI to points.  Nice to hear he makes adapters to make the regulator install easier too. 

This image is hidden for guests.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid, Brzn
10 Oct 2022 08:17 #6

• Brzn
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Nice to hear he makes adapters to make the regulator install easier too.

He was rebuilding a speedometer for me and I reached out to him before he finished asking for the built wires and male bullet/insulator connectors. He's an awesome resource for sure.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Sneezles61
10 Oct 2022 10:54 #7

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart