facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Modifying my 360 for the umpteenth time!!

• RT325
  • RT325's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Keep coming up with plans that don't work so start again. Had the high pipe on but just too much like a road raver so found my old ugly underneath pipe & helps spread the poiwer but still not right. Goes like like a rocket but hits about as hard too with limited lowdown torque. Maybe i'm expecting too much. Pipe got in the way of the original footrest bar so had to make up something then brace it under the crankcase for peace of mind or its only held by one bolt & the pin locator thingy on each side so not good when landing from a jump. Found some footrests & cut up a plate that goes behing the front wheels of an LTF250 Quad. That worked pretty good. Then only bit of steel i had was left over from the feet of a stuffed 48inch TV. Had to come up with a plan so i could remove the footrest with the brace across. My 20 is planted in onions so luckily my land tenant leases another lot down a bit further from my nephew with only grass on it so said 'go for it'. So if & when i do go down there i'll link a video for a laugh. Think i'll take it on a trailer as too far to push it home when it explodes. Crap weather anyway, was perfect yesterday. Pics coming. Nothing special.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: AirborneSilva, Sneezles61, nivlagusa
Last edit: 04 Oct 2022 21:16 by Enduronut.
04 Oct 2022 18:47 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RT325
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by RT325 on topic Modifying my 360 for the umpteenth time!!

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Snglsmkr
04 Oct 2022 18:49 #2

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Modifying my 360 for the umpteenth time!!

"My 20 is planted in onions"

Downsized from pumpkins then! 

This image is hidden for guests.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325, AirborneSilva
04 Oct 2022 23:54 #3

Replied by turbodan on topic Modifying my 360 for the umpteenth time!!

That pipe will never make much bottom end. If you're able it would benefit from a longer baffle cone. Ideally make or adapt a whole new pipe with a longer overall length.  Longer head pipe, longer divergent cone, longer baffle.

It can be done but it's a bit of work modifying a pipe. I've never made a whole pipe from scratch, that is beyond my capabilities. The results make it worthwhile though. A good pipe really packs a punch.
06 Oct 2022 20:49 #4

• RT325
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Thanks Turbodan, i'll keep that info in mind. I've made probably 10 pipes over the years when i was bucket racing 100cc--miniature roadracing. But i 'did' have a really good pipe i made for this cylinder & head about 30 years ago with a great spread of power & much like you described. I sold the bike back then & years later the guy gave me the frame back then in more recent years he gave me the RT2MX top end back. So i started again building bike out of what i had. But never got the pipe back as he used it on his "Cooper" with a 360 motor. I gas welded all the pipes i made, but the cost of oxyacetylene got crazy expensive to have mostly sitting around in the shed getting very little use. I need a Tig Welder if i could master it.
07 Oct 2022 02:54 #5

• RT325
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Ok, i got my tow mower running & mowed two widths mainly so i could ID any deep grooves etc. Slippery on the grass with a rounded off tyre so couldn't get too carried away except down the straight bit. Must buy a new sharp knobbly tyre to bite into the dirt. Paddock is 'hard 'as' despite more rain than usual at this time of the year. Bike ran great & couldn't fault it. Power is a bit like a "Wild Thing" & comes on hard & should lengthen the pipe as suggested by Turbodan. But is fun on a relatively flat paddock like this. Be even more fun with bare dirt to grip on & no grass. Basically an RT2 with shortened subframe & slightly lengthened swingarm. Rear shocks are Gas girling short travel medium or heavy damped shocks welded into PE250 upper bodies to give length as shocks were very short on total length. Not sure i'd be game to go arc welding like that again with nitrogen under about 200psi pressure trying to get out. But the end of the girlings are double thickness by memory or i'd not go there--i'm still here anyway haha. Forks are from about "77 first monoshock DT250, nothing flash. Run out of mag covers but that's ok as more cooling, let the heat out. Clutch i totaly forgot i'd spun the basket fingers out to take bigger plates who's ears just happened to line up with the finger slots of the basket. First plates i used failed when getting fanging hard & the clutch swelled up then lever became useless. Found a second lot of plates--all used plates of course--alloy with bonded on linings--& this time work perfect. Forgot what i'd done & meant to have one hand on the clutch incase the basket flew to bits. Could still happen. Have it very low geared as i'm running out of sprocket options but gearing was spoton for today. Even then you can hear the jump to top down the straight being an annoying step & a half on RT2 transmission. Video my wife took with my old cell phone so might need to try & full screen it & turn volume up as mostly distant stuff. Took it down on the trailer incase i had to push it home haha. Sorry, long winded story about not much at all. 50 year old bike & 76 year old rider. What could go wrong lol. Except hurt me already hurting back climbing on it.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, littlemilo, AirborneSilva, Schu, Ht1kid, yamayeeha, Sneezles61, Brzn
Last edit: 09 Oct 2022 03:25 by RT325.
09 Oct 2022 02:17 #6

• RT325
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Few pics from today. Mower's a bit of a dinosaur but encouraged it into life after a long hibernation.Few pics from today. Mower's a bit of a dinosaur but encouraged it into life after a long hibernation.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: AirborneSilva, Ht1kid, nivlagusa
09 Oct 2022 02:29 #7

Replied by yamayeeha on topic Modifying my 360 for the umpteenth time!!

76 .......and still having fun
09 Oct 2022 04:37 #8

Replied by Sneezles61 on topic Modifying my 360 for the umpteenth time!!

I’d say, crazy old man, but I hope to be having just as much fun in 15 years… don’t let off the throttle!
Sneezles61 
09 Oct 2022 04:48 #9

Replied by AirborneSilva on topic Modifying my 360 for the umpteenth time!!

Sounds good/looking good Morley!
2023 Tenere T7
1976 DT400C
1975 DT400
1981 DT175H
1972 DT2 250
1980 GT80
1972 JT2
09 Oct 2022 06:06 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart