facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

A question of power

Replied by RT325 on topic A question of power

JPG[/attachment] Here's what i did with an RT1 piston in my RT2 as skirt looked a bit weak to drill big holes lower down. Way overdone of course so Don't Go There. Worked good though. Stupid things i do at times.
I guess with yours someone was trying to help it along a bit!!. Transfers are around the side of the cylinder & boost port at the rear where those holes might help. I dunno, i'm pretty basic on porting knowledge & tend to overdo it then can't go back haha. Pic coming & one seen ya can't unsee it!!.
Last edit: 28 Apr 2023 15:45 by RT325.
28 Apr 2023 15:43 #41

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mx360guy
  • Away
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by mx360guy on topic A question of power

My experience with a similar problem after re bore and other work on my '71 CT1C. The main jet hole did not lined up with the float bowl hole. No power and lots of smoke..I bought a different carb and noticed this when I was taking them apart to build a really good one. Made a huge difference. I think the threads in the float bowl may get stretched from over torquing. Anyways I got them lined up with good gaskets,etc and it runs very strong now.

29 Apr 2023 18:58 #42

This message has attachments images.

Replied by turbodan on topic A question of power

The difference between the old and new windows is not significant. The difference between windows and no windows is noticeable but not dramatic, just takes away some of the midrange punch.

I was in the same boat as you a few years ago when I picked up my 74 360. Sluggish power delivery, what little power it made was on tap from 5000-7000. Not much down low or in the middle. I found nothing mechanically wrong with it, it just didn't run great. The single best thing you can do is have a proper pipe made to generate a low-mid powerband. Porting will help, head work is a good idea for performance and reliability. A bigger carb complements the other modifications.

If you don't want to go down that rabbit hole, I wouldn't blame you, it couldn't hurt to just have the squish band corrected and maybe have the cylinder ported to make the most of the stock specs. Square off the transfer port windows, match the heights up, widen the exhaust port a bit. This won't change the character of the engine but it will increase power over stock and deliver more power and torque without requiring higher revs.
29 Apr 2023 20:47 #43

• EM ONE
  • EM ONE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by EM ONE on topic A question of power

Thanks for your responce guys,i will try the above methods,i think i will have to at some point cut the back out of the exhaust,out , im not 100 percent sure theres nothing still stuck in there.Im just after stock power,and at present it will struggle to even pull top gear on standard gearing..Now i know the piston is fine,l need to know that the barrel is too,ie has it been badly tuned,before i buy another.What are the standard intake port height mesurements,from the botttom of the skirt?.
30 Apr 2023 11:02 #44

Replied by RacerClam on topic A question of power

The imporant thing wwith reeds , is that you can have 360 degrees of available intake charge for wheb there is a crank case signal to draw air in , I like to have holes posioned so that at BDC there is crankcace access and all the way down on the skirt to point where the skirt finally opens the intake port and the holes then dont matter , you dont have tomake them all the way down to the point wwhere the piston is weakened . When I port these old machines I make a cse port that makes continious connection with the crankcase like a modern case reed engine .

racerclam
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325, Snglsmkr
30 Apr 2023 14:55 #45

Replied by Lars on topic A question of power

The inlet of my cylinder:.(It’s a RT(2) 360 ccm)
piston with the oval holes 

This image is hidden for guests.

07 Jun 2023 23:54 #46

Replied by Yamfan on topic A question of power

Boost holes in the piston make very little difference. They are fine as is. If low power is a problem, then it might well be due to the exhaust being badly clogged. 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325
Last edit: 08 Jun 2023 01:56 by Yamfan.
08 Jun 2023 01:52 #47

Replied by 45chop on topic A question of power

When you describe badly clogged pipe, would you be able to tell by simply blowing down the end of the pipe ? I have two pipes and they seem to ‘blow’through with no noticeable resistance
08 Jun 2023 23:21 #48

09 Jun 2023 00:19 #49

Cut this baffle off another pipe, does wonders for calming down the bark.
youtube.com/shorts/qGv1DUbL_zw?feature=share
09 Jun 2023 00:21 #50

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart