facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Dim lights until I give it gas?

• Yamaha73CT3
  • Yamaha73CT3's Avatar Topic Author

Dim lights until I give it gas? was created by Yamaha73CT3

New to the forum, I just wrapped up rebuilding my Yamaha CT3 175 engine and the light are pretty dim until I give it gas. Could it be the battery? Condenser? Coil? A timing issue? Has anyone had this issue? Just looking for a place to start. Thanks
04 Jul 2022 15:41 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic Dim lights until I give it gas?

Morning--well is in NZ. That's how the lights roll on those 6 volt magneto powered lights as head & tail plus instrument illuminating bulbs all run off the mag so alter with revs. Just a thought though--has 12 volt bulbs been fitted by someone as 'that' would make things real bad so far as very dull at idle goes, sort of how you describe. Battery only runs the brake light, horn, indicators & not much else--neutral light if fitted. But battery is needed to balance the system & if it's empty of water or out of the bike, you stand a good chance of blowing the bulbs with excess voltage as battery sort of soaks up the drips & stop over-voltage going to the lights. Not sure if US models of CT3 had a battery powered tail light but guessing 'not' as they're a piddly little battery. Check ya bulbs!!--is it a sealed headlight unit as we have replaceable bulbs luckily. Possibly your bike is just normal. With bulbs as we got down here, if it came with say 25/25 head & we went to 20/20 you get brighter lights & more charge left over to help the battery keep charged. If we went to 15/15 they'd likely blow at revs. Can add a single wire regulator like later trail models had, then you're safe playing with bulb changes as the regulator limits the system no matter what ya playing with. Sorry--essay time.
04 Jul 2022 16:11 #2

• Yamaha73CT3
  • Yamaha73CT3's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Yamaha73CT3 on topic Dim lights until I give it gas?

The battery doesn’t power the tail/brake lights on mine. My battery reads 0v lol have a new battery on the way and won’t be reving up to high until it’s installed at risk of frying my bulbs. Thanks for the reply
04 Jul 2022 16:51 #3

Replied by RT325 on topic Dim lights until I give it gas?

Ok, you're battery will actually power the brake light when ya good one arrives--well it should power it. Cheers.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Yamaha73CT3
04 Jul 2022 17:02 #4

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart