facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Clarke #SFLA Fuel Tank?

• RT3Sam
  • RT3Sam's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Clarke #SFLA Fuel Tank? was created by RT3Sam

Has anyone installed a Clarke #SFLA on their DT or RT? My original fuel tank is in great shape with original paint. I'm afraid of dropping this bike and damaging the fuel tank, so I'm thinking of installing the Clarke. Plus it gets me an extra gallon of gas. So I'm looking for feedback from anyone who has installed one and advice on how to install it.

Thanks
Sam 
02 Aug 2021 10:22 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by KennyV on topic Clarke #SFLA Fuel Tank?

71 Z50 Minitrail
20 CB500X Halfrica Twin
21 CRF300l Rally
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, RT3Sam
02 Aug 2021 11:46 #2

• RT3Sam
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by RT3Sam on topic Clarke #SFLA Fuel Tank?

Thanks KennyV!! I was having trouble pulling up the pictures and was finally able to today. Do you have any sketches or drawing with dimensions of the brackets you made? Seeing the picture of your bike with the tank installed sealed the deal for me!! That looks sweet!!!

Sam 
03 Aug 2021 17:06 #3

Hi Sam, thanks! Sorry I  don't have any sketches of the mounting hardware. Later today I will take better pictures with dimensions of what I made.
71 Z50 Minitrail
20 CB500X Halfrica Twin
21 CRF300l Rally
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT3Sam
04 Aug 2021 06:02 #4

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by MarkT on topic Clarke #SFLA Fuel Tank?

I'm thinking a product called "Kenny's SFLA tank brackets" would sell at least a few sets. 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: KennyV, RT3Sam, Pete-RT1
04 Aug 2021 06:17 #5

Replied by DEET on topic Clarke #SFLA Fuel Tank?

Here is my SFLA tank.
I made a clamping mount with flat bar and a couple of bolts.
I sandwiched the frame tube between two pieces of aluminum bar and ran a long rod through the front holes.
I used short pieces of PEX tube to center the tank between the brackets. Tube goes over the long rod between the tank and the bracket.

Not nearly as nice as Kenny's.... more of a "stone knife and bearskin" primitive version.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Where the Yamaha Enduro is still a current model...
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Steve F, JayB, KennyV, RT3Sam, Pete-RT1
Last edit: 04 Aug 2021 10:37 by DEET.
04 Aug 2021 10:33 #6

This message has attachments images.

I hope this is helpful.The "hockey pucks" 11mm x 39.7mm. I put a good size 45 degree chamfer on the one side of each and had friend tig weld them to the 1/8 aluminum. I set them up in my lathe and turned the excess weld off. I placed them each in the "ears" on the frame and transfer punched, drilled and taped m6. Where the ears are welded to the frame there's two thicknesses of metal so plenty of meat there to thread. 

From the center of the 6mm hole through the center of the puck to cetera of the crimp nut 70mm. No need for the third mounting spot. That was for mounting on my 400C. 

the piece on the far left comes with the tank if remember correctly. The one to right is one I made with stainless and a little longer so the rubber band didn't stretch as far. And there's the crimp nuts I used, they work great for things like this you don't have to worry with a nut on the back side. And the foam rubber that goes on the frame for the tank to rest on.

The piece for the rubber band to hook on screws on here. I have the piece I made for my 400 on so it sit on my storage stand.

​​​​
71 Z50 Minitrail
20 CB500X Halfrica Twin
21 CRF300l Rally
Last edit: 04 Aug 2021 12:20 by KennyV.
04 Aug 2021 12:06 #7

The spacers, 10mm diameter, 35mm overall lenght, 3mm x 14mm shoulder. I did have bend / tweek the 1/8 aluminum for everything align on my RT.

I do recommend you buy an aluminum cap. My plastic cap cracked while I was on a 5 day adventure ride. I have one from Tusk. Hopefully their still available.

And my storage stand I made mainly for when I was using the Clarke tank. A place to put my almost perfect original 400C tank.

71 Z50 Minitrail
20 CB500X Halfrica Twin
21 CRF300l Rally
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Steve F, Schu, Pete-RT1
04 Aug 2021 12:17 #8

• RT3Sam
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by RT3Sam on topic Clarke #SFLA Fuel Tank?

Thanks KennyV and DEET!! That gives me some good ideas on how to mount my tank. KeenyV thanks for showing me your storage mount, I think I'll make one of those for my RT3 tank. Its not perfect, but its all original. One last question, DEET, where did you get the black and white stripes for your tank? They look good on there.

Sam
05 Aug 2021 05:56 #9

Replied by DEET on topic Clarke #SFLA Fuel Tank?

The white tank stripe  is a decal. 
The yellow tank stripe I painted. 
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Where the Yamaha Enduro is still a current model...
05 Aug 2021 06:38 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart