facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

That white stripe on the DT1 tank?

• 1969dt1
  • 1969dt1's Avatar Topic Author

That white stripe on the DT1 tank? was created by 1969dt1

I have a 1969 DT1 with the candy orange tank that I’m restoring. Well, the inside of the tank was rusty, so I got another one and it’s currently primer gray and I’ll be prepping it soon to paint. Originally I was going to paint it a solid color only but I now want it to look authentic. I’ve been unable to find a stencil or a sticker to replace that white border stripe. Doing a tape job would not be easy. What’s the trick to this?

Thanks in advance!
23 Feb 2019 04:46 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Prinzy on topic That white stripe on the DT1 tank?

I’ve been wondering the same thing. I know the tank was originally painted white then taped off then painted mandarin orange but it’s a goofy width and I agree would be hard to do. I can’t believe that someone hasn’t made a vinyl sticker for these yet
23 Feb 2019 05:11 #2

Replied by MarkT on topic That white stripe on the DT1 tank?

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=makotosu-08bc-47da-8e7d-68e3ee6e51ca&siteid=0&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=282378568280&version=889&trackingid=&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

• 1969dt1

Replied by 1969dt1 on topic That white stripe on the DT1 tank?

That looks like the way to do it, but the tank is all primer gray just the way I got it, but maybe I can still do the paint it white, tape over, then spray the candy orange. I think it would still be difficult even with a steady hand. The old tank is in the scrap metal dumpster at work. Maybe if I can find it I’ll dig it out and try to trace out a stencil? Hmm...
The following user(s) Liked this Post: mdscott
23 Feb 2019 06:00 #4

Replied by Mothersbaugh on topic That white stripe on the DT1 tank?

Paint is on my list for this summer. Having just retired recently, I now have the option of painting when the wind isn't blowing here in Wyoming, which is not very frequently. I am going to start with an oil tank or two just to try my hand at the whole process, including the taping of the stripes. See if I can tame that shrew...
23 Feb 2019 09:38 #5

Replied by darinm on topic That white stripe on the DT1 tank?

It's not as bad as you might think, the roll of tape from ebay has enough length so one can make several attempts. I'm not a seasoned painter by any stretch, this was my first time doing a motorcycle tank, and first time for a stripe too. I just took pictures before to make sure distances from the curves on the tank were right. Hard to describe but where the stripe goes is rather intuitive to the curves on the tank, which is probably why they look so good ;)

Black base color with green tape.

Final result.

I pulled the pin stripe tape immediately after spraying the final coat of white. I wouldn't trust myself to do it on a bike that was being restored, but on a rider it's well worth trying.
1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
2000 Suzuki RM100
2003 BMW F650GS
2009 Yamaha WR250R
2013 Yamaha XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: swm, 1969dt1
Last edit: 23 Feb 2019 09:47 by darinm.
23 Feb 2019 09:46 #6

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• 1969dt1

Replied by 1969dt1 on topic That white stripe on the DT1 tank?

Thanks for the pics and encouragement. I’ll give that a try unless someone knows of a decal which it sounds like someone here would already know if there was. Thanks again for the tips!
23 Feb 2019 10:38 #7

Replied by Mark350 on topic That white stripe on the DT1 tank?

There was a few years ago someone making a stencil for the RT/CT tank layout, so you might want to do a search for that. I did a CT-1 and RT-1 by hand based upon measurements taken of the tanks before they were stripped. Takes a few hours and attention to detail but its possible to get pretty good results by hand. Just a tip, use the 2K urethane clear over your base colors to keep your paint job from being ruined from the gas .
22 Mar 2019 19:57 #8

This message has attachments images.

Replied by asco on topic That white stripe on the DT1 tank?

This is an incredibly difficult task to get both sides even flow and correct. Moto dad has the 5 mm tape. If you want it right, you need magic hands and eyes.

a
YAMA-LAND RESTORATION,
( 818 ) 521-2109
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
1971 CT1-C (BRANDY)
1970 DT1-C (MONICA)
1972 AT2M (ZIFFLE)
1970 CT1-B (HULK)
1971 DT1E (GINA)
1970 CT1-B (CLIDE)
The following user(s) Liked this Post: nhsteve
23 Mar 2019 08:42 #9

Replied by mdscott on topic That white stripe on the DT1 tank?

I had this tank on my CB500 professionally painted and hand pin striped. Ive watched them, steady hand, no partying the night before. The tank originally has a big clear decal that includes the striping, then clear coat.

Pin striping is not cheap.

Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'03 ST1300
'75 Norton
'73 CB500K
'81 Honda CT110
'87 PW50
'64 McClane Edger
'02 Honda XR70R
23 Mar 2019 10:13 #10

This message has an attachment image.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart